"Glenn Miller Goes To War With The Army Air Force Band"

ghost of miles

This week's Night Lights show looks at Glenn Miller's amazing 1943-1945 Army Air Force band, which included musicians such as pianist Mel Powell, clarinetist Peanuts Hucko, drummer Ray McKinley, and singer Johnny Desmond.  The show includes excerpts from an interview I did several years ago with AAF trombonist Nat Peck (who was 19 when he joined Miller's group in 1943) and historian Michael McGerr, as well as music that represents the varied aspects of the AAF--the Uptown Hall Gang (performing one of the earliest versions of "A Night In Tunisia"), Strings With Wings, and the full AAF, including a rare 1944 broadcast with Bing Crosby.  Up for online listening on Veterans' Day:

Glenn Miller Goes To War With The Army Air Force Band

(Note:  there is an expanded "director's cut" version of this show, which is derived from a previous program that I did for WFIU, embedded in the program post.  It includes more music and more remarks from Nat Peck--who passed away not long ago, and may have been the last surviving member of the band.)

• 5 years later...

For Glenn Miller collectors & Swing fans only

Got recently some Glenn Miller volumes I to IV  on RCA "Special Products" released 1976 and later  for exclusive sale at the gift shop of the Glenn Miller AAF Band Exhibit at the Air Force Museum Foundation at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio 45433.

Here is the first one.

43776878ie.jpg

43776880bv.jpg

43776879pc.jpg

2 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

This show was right on time for me as I am very interested in hearing the Mel Powell contributions. Thanks.

I’ve been wanting to do a Night Lights Mel Powell show for years. It’s another one I need to get to sooner rather than later—starting to sink in more and more that my professional career, not to mention life, will not be infinite after all! It will focus primarily on his time with Goodman, his 1940s leader dates, and the mid-1950s Vanguard sessions. 
EDIT: well whaddaya know, next February 12 will be Mel Powell’s centennial. I do believe the time to do a show has arrived!

Edited by ghost of miles

4 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I’ve been wanting to do a Night Lights Mel Powell show for years. It’s another one I need to get to sooner rather than later—starting to sink in more and more that my professional career, not to mention life, will not be infinite after all! It will focus primarily on his time with Goodman, his 1940s leader dates, and the mid-1950s Vanguard sessions. 
EDIT: well whaddaya know, next February 12 will be Mel Powell’s centennial. I do believe the time to do a show has arrived!

4 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

emoji thing here.

2 hours ago, jazztrain said:

Ghost,

Do you know Powell's 1987 session for Chiaroscuro?  It's rather good.

I do and agree with you! If I have time I might punctuate the show with a track from it.

Here’s a thread I started a couple of years ago about

Powell’s 1940s leader dates

Edited by ghost of miles