WSJ: Music Aficionado website

GA Russell

In yesterday's (Dec. 12) issue, the Wall Street Journal reported on a new website called Music Aficionado.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/getting-50-somethings-to-pay-for-streaming-music-1481292848

The article mentions that less than 2% of Spotify's and Apple Music's consumers over the age of 45 chose to pay for the ad-free level.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2016 at 7:10 PM, lipi said:

Article is behind paywall. I will let others make delightfully ironic remarks at this point.

doesn't work for wsj, but something to keep in mind, if true, for other sites:

... Another way to bypass the NYT paywall (works for The New Yorker too, and probably others), for Chrome users, is to open the link in an Incognito window. I suspect it would also work for Firefox's private browsing mode or an analogous feature on other browsers...

On 12/23/2016 at 5:28 PM, l p said:

doesn't work for wsj, but something to keep in mind, if true, for other sites:

... Another way to bypass the NYT paywall (works for The New Yorker too, and probably others), for Chrome users, is to open the link in an Incognito window. I suspect it would also work for Firefox's private browsing mode or an analogous feature on other browsers...

This does indeed work in Chrome for the NYT's site. They allow you to read 10 articles for free each month until the paywall kicks in, but in order to track the number of articles you've read, a cookie has to be set. If you're browsing in incognito mode, no cookies, so you're always under the 10-article limit.

Until recently, links to NYT articles posted to Twitter or Facebook would also bypass the paywall, so if you followed them on either platform, you could access quite a few of the articles on their site (they tweet frequently, and I assume they are likewise frequent posters on FB, but I only follow them on Twitter). That is no longer the case. 

6 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

This does indeed work in Chrome for the NYT's site. They allow you to read 10 articles for free each month until the paywall kicks in, but in order to track the number of articles you've read, a cookie has to be set. If you're browsing in incognito mode, no cookies, so you're always under the 10-article limit.

The incognito trick is most helpful. I've been reading the Times online for free for at least ten years - using Chrome -  by simply reading ten articles, then clearing history, closing the browser and reopening. Now I can just keep going.