Bookcase speakers?

medjuck

21 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Got a couple little Snells that I love very much. Hand-me-downs from my dad, who's a stereo nut, but I don't believe they cost more than $800 or something.

Depending on the age, old Snells will probably need re-foamed woofers. Worst case, they may need re-foamed *and* new capacitors in the crossover. My friend had some old B&W speakers that improved tremendously when he re-capped them.

BTW, that might be what happened to your old Cambridge Soundworks speakers, You can re-foam them too but the grill has to be pried off with a screwdriver. I did it without damaging the speaker but it was tricky.

I have a $500 pair of B&W shelf speakers that I got on sale for $400.  I think they were the previous year's model.  At any rate, they are really good.  I like bass, and I rarely have to push the bass beyond the flat position.  I sometimes roll back the highs a tad.  I am very happy with them. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

You know, I'm not sure there is a definitive shelf life for speakers. But yes, 20+ years is definitely a reasonable length of time for pretty much any speaker to last. 

Glad to hear you went with the Pioneers. I think they scare most people off because of the price and the name Pioneer. I'm actually getting a pair of them for my drum kit. Going to hook them up with a Bic America subwoofer.