Any Post-Rockers in the house?

Scott Dolan

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, even if the records post-TNT are spotty I try to see them anytime they play. First show I saw was '96 on the Millions Now Living tour and that was superb. Probably seen them six times since? Always excellent.

I saw that same tour in 1996!  Also caught them a year or two earlier when they toured their first album.  Bought their debut 7" when it was released but I was tipped on it cuz I was a big Bastro fan before and knew this was John McEntire and Bundy Brown's new group....

I interviewed John McEntire for my crappy indie fanzine back in 1994 or 1995...I feel old now haha

12 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

My one remaining local indy store actually has a copy of Tortoise's "A Lazarus Taxon".  I'm so shocked I'm going to go buy it just to keep them going.  

If I remember correctly, there are a couple of performances with Fred Anderson on the DVD. 

re: The Sea And Cake... aka Steely Can... man, do I love that. Sam Prekop has made two song-based solo albums that are also excellent recommendations for anyone on a jazz board enjoying The Sea and Cake, and I'll heartily recommend every Archer Prewitt album here. Over the years, the Archer Prewitt albums (try Wilderness) have grown and grown for me. I find it hard to believe he hadn't released anything in twelve years?

I'm not privy to being a fan, but is Cul de Sac post-rock? I've been to a couple of their gigs at the Tonic in the early 2000s, one was with the Japanese "singer" from the band Can.

Also, Club d'Elf? Just caught their gig, enjoyed it. Post-rock?

Went on the post-rock Wikipedia page to read the description, one of the first bands they mention is Sigur Ros. Played two of their albums from a whole batch available on Amazon Prime. Don't hit me, but this is some of the most boring music I've ever heard.

I think cul-de-sac has been mentioned above. Sigur Tos always seemed more emo, like Explosions In The Sky. Who knows. 

I wouldnt have thought if Steely Can as post-rock either. I didn't know. Kind of opens it up to a lot of things... Jim O'Rourke has a bunch of albums that might make the cut. Town and Country might make it on the opposite edge. 

Town And Country were good. Really good, actually. Morton Feldman-y in the best moments, but could build up a heck of a racket as well. Saw them several times.

Saw Tortoise last night and it was not all that exciting. I feel like their newer music is more staid and not very creative rhythmically. What attracted me to their work in the mid-90s was certainly the rhythmic and textural variety at play, which I hadn't heard in much noise rock or post punk or whatever else I was digging into up to that point. When they played music from TNT or their first record at Le Poisson Rouge, it was clear the difference between that work and what they're doing now (and have been since Standards!). What I remember from seeing them at a sweaty club in Bozeman in May 1996 or in Lawrence shortly thereafter was how chaotic and intense they were live, and the sense that they were discovering the musical path they were on right as we were also having that experience. It was fresh and wild. The best aspect last night was John Herndon's drumming -- he's an absolute monster, and has a great feel for the kit. In 21 years I think he's improved the most as a musician, while everybody else kinda just does their thing (McEntire seems to contribute the least in concert, from my visual perspective).

Tara Jane O'Neil (ex-Rodan, Sonora Pine, Retsin) opened and was excellent as always. Georgia Hubley (Yo La Tengo) also did a spellbinding solo guitar set with minimal effects-laden playing. She was super.

On 3/15/2017 at 7:15 AM, Dmitry said:

Went on the post-rock Wikipedia page to read the description, one of the first bands they mention is Sigur Ros. Played two of their albums from a whole batch available on Amazon Prime. Don't hit me, but this is some of the most boring music I've ever heard.

Are you a Pink Floyd fan? I hear a direct lineage between them and Sigur Rós. It's all about the atmospherics. I think Agaetis Byrjun is a masterpiece. 

2 hours ago, .:.impossible said:

I wouldnt have thought if Steely Can as post-rock either. I didn't know. Kind of opens it up to a lot of things... Jim O'Rourke has a bunch of albums that might make the cut. Town and Country might make it on the opposite edge. 

When I first read this post, I read it as Steely Dan! 

I'm sure you can imagine my reaction! :D 

re: Steely Can... I think it's fantastic. 

I hear you re: Tortoise. I don't mind where they are right now with the new material, but it isn't as dynamic as the early days. It's great for running with headphones!

I feel like they are exploring some areas of Its All Around You, while neglecting others that I felt would have been more interesting. 

Regardless, I have a good feeling that they will continue to evolve. 

Interesting to think about the fact that McEntire provides the least on stage. I feel like it is his aesthetic that they have been exploring the most in the past ten years. 

3 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Only Floyd I really bother with is the Barrett stuff. I did not like them at all until I heard Piper at the Gates!

Conversely, that's the only Pink Floyd album I really don't care for. It seems to be a serious line of demarcation amongst fans, though. Those who are fans of it, and nothing else from them usually refer to them as The Pink Floyd. 

But back when I smoked weed I could listen to Wish You Were Here on repeat play for hours! And The Wall was kind of the soundtrack of my teenage years. So...

2 hours ago, .:.impossible said:

re: Steely Can... I think it's fantastic. 

I hear you re: Tortoise. I don't mind where they are right now with the new material, but it isn't as dynamic as the early days. It's great for running with headphones!

I feel like they are exploring some areas of Its All Around You, while neglecting others that I felt would have been more interesting. 

Regardless, I have a good feeling that they will continue to evolve. 

Interesting to think about the fact that McEntire provides the least on stage. I feel like it is his aesthetic that they have been exploring the most in the past ten years. 

Well, let me frame it better than "the least." He does have a clean, metronomic beat when behind the kit. However, most of the time he was behind a laptop and some sort of mini keyboard from which he played sampled vibes/marimba parts (leading to speculation that he may have hand issues? not sure). He also played a little bass, doing a few of Bundy's parts from the first record, though not near as sharply. 

12 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Are you a Pink Floyd fan? I hear a direct lineage between them and Sigur Rós. It's all about the atmospherics. I think Agaetis Byrjun is a masterpiece. 

I am a PF fan, but I fail to see any connection between PF and SR. Yep, I listened to  Agaetis Byrjun, and I'll be diplomatic....I know Pink Floyd, Pink Floyd was a friend of mine, and this is no Pink Floyd.

Any other accepted  post-rock masterpieces I should try?