• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Horace Silver – Silver's Blue (Epic Records / Columbia Legacy)
— Horace Silver - piano; Donald Byrd or Joe Gordon - trumpet; Hank Mobley - tenor saxophone; Doug Watkins - bass; Art Taylor or Kenny Clarke - drums

0001352207.jpg   Silver%27s_Blue_Original.jpg 

Edited by alankin

51VRe4ciJ9L._SS400.jpg

John Lee & Gerry Brown - Bamboo Madness (Limetree)
featuring Chris Hinze, Gary Bartz and Jasper van 't Hof

Some 1970s fyoo-shun that avoids clichés and therefore doesn't come across as locked in time. Bartz in particular sounds really good.

R-3130741-1362926032-6887.jpeg.jpg

I wanted to hear a Blue Note with a reverberant sound so I chose this EMI Japan cd that has a Paris recording and seems to actually be a concept album. . . I can feel the "saudade" in the performances that thinking back to home might bring, or I imagine I do.

R-930554-1174140512.jpeg.jpg

Kind of unusual for a singer's album -- she does not even appear on several tracks which spotlight the trumpeters involved (Wallace Roney, Tom Harrell, Lew Soloff and Roy Hargrove).  Tom Harrrell has "Joy Spring" all to himself while Kenny Barron is the sole performer on "Memories of You".

2 hours ago, duaneiac said:

R-930554-1174140512.jpeg.jpg

Kind of unusual for a singer's album -- she does not even appear on several tracks which spotlight the trumpeters involved (Wallace Roney, Tom Harrell, Lew Soloff and Roy Hargrove).  Tom Harrrell has "Joy Spring" all to himself while Kenny Barron is the sole performer on "Memories of You".

Sort of the reverse of the solo piano albums on Trio that she produced. Al Haig, Roland Hanna, and Tommy Flanagan, iirc. - each record was dedicated to one composer and Helen Merrill sang on one track on each.

4 hours ago, alankin said:

Horace Silver – Silver's Blue (Epic Records / Columbia Legacy)
— Horace Silver - piano; Donald Byrd or Joe Gordon - trumpet; Hank Mobley - tenor saxophone; Doug Watkins - bass; Art Taylor or Kenny Clarke - drums

0001352207.jpg   Silver%27s_Blue_Original.jpg 

Classic .....