Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

But that cover photograh looks like from a later period than the time where he played with Rouse, Ore and Dunlop which might have been in the early 60´s , not ?
Looks like Monk in the early 70´s . Who is the bass player in the background.

Certainly it's from a later time. I saw the Monk quartet on that tour in April 1961. Perhaps you did too, Gheorghe?

Thank you Brownie , so this must have been in the 70´s .

Bill: no, I didn´t see Monk in 1961 because then I was 2 years old.

Even in 1972 when the Giants of Jazz played in Vienna, I was too young to be interested in jazz. That came 2 years later, so I missed the only occasion to see Monk live.

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Thank you Brownie , so this must have been in the 70´s .

Bill: no, I didn´t see Monk in 1961 because then I was 2 years old.

Even in 1972 when the Giants of Jazz played in Vienna, I was too young to be interested in jazz. That came 2 years later, so I missed the only occasion to see Monk live.

I see what you mean - I didn't see any two-year-olds in the audience, though I did take my daughter aged 10 to see the Dizzy Gillespie United Nations Orchestra in 1991. :cool:

in-a-silent-way.png?format=500w

I'm on a Miles binge lately, pulling out pieces here and there. Maybe because I'm rereading his autobiography. But this is great. I'm looking out for Bitches Brew, which I don't have. Is it in one of the volumes Sony/Legacy put out in the nineties, one of which was devoted to the second quintet and others to his work with Gil Evans?

Edited by Bluesnik

R-3547668-1364848766-2752.jpeg.jpg

3 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

I'm on a Miles binge lately, pulling out pieces here and there. Maybe because I'm rereading his autobiography. But this is great. I'm looking out for Bitches Brew, which I don't have. Is it in one of the volumes Sony/Legacy put out in the nineties, one of which was devoted to the second quintet and others to his work with Gil Evans?

R-105643-1306688821.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-The-Complete-Bitches-Brew-Sessions/master/51315

Or this longbox version, or the 40th anniversary edition.

R-1313450-1262004013.jpeg.jpg

R-7080006-1512212472-5080.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Bitches-Brew/release/7080006

1 hour ago, Simon8 said:

41PM7CRF1JL.jpg

I still remember the day those master tapes (and the tapes for an unissued album) arrived at Delmark/JRM. Within a couple of hours we were in Bob Koester's apartment on Wabash and Grand listening to the tapes.

Edited by Chuck Nessa
edit to correct autocorrect - I meant Delmark, not Denmark.