Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Yes - Dave Cliff, an excellent guitarist, originally frm the NE. Ind and Levitt of course are shoe-ins for this group.

I knew Dave when he was a student in the 60s at Leeds College of Music, the first jazz course in the UK. Peter Ind was on the teaching staff and brought over Lennie Tristano to the Harrogate Festival. One of my great jazz moments - being backstage with the maestro. :excited:

1 minute ago, BillF said:

I knew Dave when he was a student in the 60s at Leeds College of Music, the first jazz course in the UK. Peter Ind was on the teaching staff and brought over Lennie Tristano to the Harrogate Festival. One of my great jazz moments - being backstage with the maestro. :excited:

Wow !

I have that Copenhagen DVD by Tristano, which was on the same tour I think.

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Yep, Whitley Bay, Northumberland, right on the NE Coast. The upper photo is of the venue in recent years. The lower photo is of the gig itself. The other musicians were Dave Cliff, Peter Ind and Al Levitt. Extremely good music.

I always associated Whitley Bay with extremely dubious 1970s ‘dance’ venues and not Konitz/Marsh.

The time was 10.35 pm, the date 22 Dec 1975 and hence the balloons on the walls. :D

Whitley Bay, dubious dance venues? Surely Caister, Norfolk? Every Easter, the Caister Weekender at some holiday camp hired by a DJ co-operative, is what I remember.

Whitley Bay was supposed to be impeccably genteel :)

MG

56 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Whitley Bay, dubious dance venues? Surely Caister, Norfolk? Every Easter, the Caister Weekender at some holiday camp hired by a DJ co-operative, is what I remember.

Whitley Bay was supposed to be impeccably genteel :)

MG

What Caister weekenders do YOU remember, I wonder? :D

Reading about their 3rd annual rockabilly and rock'n'roll (you know, the REAL r'n'r variety, not what the US take it to be :D) weekender in the UK "Street Machine" mag in 1980 made me vow I'd be there one day. Well, it took me 12 years to eventually get there (at the nearby Hemsby location up in Norfolk). Memories, memories .... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

12 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

What Caister weekenders do YOU remember, I wonder? :D

Reading about their 3rd annual rockabilly and rock'n'roll (you know, the REAL r'n'r variety, not what the US take it to be :D) weekender in the UK "Street Machine" mag in 1980 made me vow I'd be there one day. Well, it took me 12 years to eventually get there (at the nearby Hemsby location up in Norfolk). Memories, memories .... ;)

I never went :)

In the seventies, I was recently married, with a low wage and a baby daughter. Mind you, even if I could have afforded it, I was thirty by then and probably too old for it.

But it was advertised every year in 'Blues & Soul' magazine. And a lot of soul jazz was played there. More in the eighties, but still in the seventies.

MG

Aloha!

I was listening to XM Radio's "Real Jazz" channel in the car today and they were broadcasting "The Talk - Conversations with Christian" where he sits down and talks to Jazz artists.  On today's show (as he was interviewing Roy Hargrove),  he mentioned how an estimated 85 percent of all Jazz album purchases were from deceased artists.  Nothing wrong with that he stated, but he said we should remember to support contemporary living Jazz artists as well.  So I decided to listen to living artists this weekend.  No vintage Jazz icons.  New and/or living Jazz artists only.

First up;

Christian Mcbride - At the Village Vanguard

51mbWxI9w0L._AC_US327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Mahalo!

-Billy