Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Brad said:

The Simple Matter Of Conviction is a very nice session.  Not familiar with this one. Will have to seek it out. 

Live in Switzerland 1975 is excellent .... Bill Evans + Eddie Gomez in near perfect synch and Eliot Zigmund unleashes waves of delicate drumming .... btw the recording (by Swiss Radio) is very good ....

11 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Must have been a very good concert ....

Can’t remember much of it but recall a good, thoroughly enjoyable but not particularly outstanding gig at a time when in Toronto you could catch top groups like those of Elvin Jones, Phil Woods, Joe Henderson and Pharoah Sanders on a regular (and affordable) basis. The group was probably under Neil Swainson’s leadership.

Remember catching Pat LaBarbera with Don Thompson in a duo gig at the famous piano room as well. Thompson on bass that time.

Edited by sidewinder

10 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Can’t remember much of it but recall a good but not outstanding gig at a time when in Toronto you could catch top groups like those of Elvin Jones, Phil Woods and Pharoah Sanders on a regular (and affordable) basis.

From the musicians involved I witnessed in performance Pat LaBarbera with the Elvin Jones Jazz Machine in the early 80`s and Neil Swanson (with Woody Shaw in mid/late 80`s ?) .... would have loved to see Don Thompson (both on b or b) though ....

Edited by soulpope

11 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, I saw Pat LaBarbera with Elvin too - in the UK and with a two tenor front line with Alan Skidmore.

I have the feeling that that the last time I caught a group with Don Thompson, it also included elusive drummer Claude Ranger.

2fba261f4a39076fabe017b9271ec4cb.jpg

Do you know this book .... ?

6 hours ago, paul secor said:

See the source image

Interesting to compare Bud Freeman's playing in the mid-1930s with his playing in 1960. I enjoy both.

There´s an album on Black Lion, "Something to remember you by", recorded in the early Sixties, that I am also very fond of.
Interesting to compare Freemans sound on this one with his tone of earier decades.

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

2fba261f4a39076fabe017b9271ec4cb.jpg

Do you know this book .... ?

Nope. I was aware that he had dissappeared suddenly though - somewhere in BC I recall.

What I do remember is that he was very impressive, full of fire. He had exactly the same pose on the drumkit per the above photo with the perpetual ciggy. The group was led I think by altoist PJ Perry.

Will have to get that book !

Edited by sidewinder