• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

41QZ68R2NPL.jpg

Talked to Tatro on the phone some years ago (maybe 30 or so). Nice guy, pleased to know that I had fond memories of "Jazz for Moderns." He said that he'd send me a tape of a radio broadcast of the serial guitar concerto he wrote for Howard Roberts, but IIRC the tape began with an extended verbal intro from an announcer and then nothing. As I think we both know, that's little John Keonig (Lester's son) in the futuristic car. Some of the pieces on the album are haunting e.g. "Minor Incident," with its  (probably) written out solos by Bob Enevoldsen and Bill Holman and that lovely horn call by Vince De Rosa.

15 hours ago, Justin V said:

I would love to see Solal perform, but it likely will not happen. :(

Justin, I'm in the same boat as you. I've never seen Solal in person, and I likely never will.  I understand that he's already semi-retired.  He's one of my favorites -- so it's a bit of a bummer. ... I'm grateful for the recordings, at least. 

I will admit that I much prefer Solal's solo and small combo recordings to his large ensemble work.  I have the Carlyne LP that you posted above (and others, like his Dodecaband Plays Ellington disc for Dreyfus), but they've never given me the electric jolt that his piano playing does.  Just my personal response, of course.

Now giving this another spin:

R-9562167-1482812096-5880.jpeg.jpg

Another one of Kloss' LPs from the Seventies that deserves to be reissued -- and likely never will be.

3 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

The Girl's Suite & The Perfume Suite61o2BonOerL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

"Dancers in Love"!  :tup 

Edited by HutchFan