Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

We’re on the same page tonight, Peter—currently listening to this, from around the same period:

2f001135bffb9bb56fc960f4dbcae824.jpg

Yeah man! Iirc is Monk on some of those broadcasts? 

Referring to the Diz on Spotlite, yes you can hear Monk, but he does not get much space. He´s audible on Round Midnight and on "Our Delight". 

I like that Spotlite double CD very much. But it´s early Diz Big Band. It took another year to incorporate the latin Thing, with Chano Pozo. Here it´s straight ahead swing mostly. 

Milt Jackson is also great on the ballads. 

Right now this one is Spinning. 

I heard this Edition of the Messengers live at the Metropole, but Studio Recordings of the Messengers don´t Always live up the the live atmosphere. 

Unbenannt.png

Monk is indeed present on almost all tracks. The liners, thought, call this a location recording by Jerry Newman, not broadcasts. I wish there was some secret science to punch up the recordings just a bit, to add presence. The band's ensemble was not yet fully formed, but still, Klook is kicking their ass and when they punch, they punch. The Salle Pleyel and Pasadena concerts (both with Chano Pozo, btw) give you the best sensations of this, but still, this was a helluva band at any point of it's life.

8 minutes ago, BillF said:

Tell all! Well, a summary at least. ;)

Well, not too much to say other than it was pretty well made up on the spot and Tubby didn’t know who would be in the band until the session started. Clark Terry was a very late addition. Hence the ‘jam session’ feel to both these LPs. On ‘Return Visit’, ‘Jimmy Gloomy’ said to Tubby that he had heard he was a rock and roll singer and had assumed that the session would be so (said deadpan apparently, not in jest). RRK and the rhythm section also all left in a rush at the end for their gigs. RRK apparently also took eons setting his kit up so Tubby was worried in case the session ended before he could play a note. :lol:

510AFmzrnZL._SY355_.jpg

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Monk is indeed present on almost all tracks. The liners, thought, call this a location recording by Jerry Newman, not broadcasts. I wish there was some secret science to punch up the recordings just a bit, to add presence. The band's ensemble was not yet fully formed, but still, Klook is kicking their ass and when they punch, they punch. The Salle Pleyel and Pasadena concerts (both with Chano Pozo, btw) give you the best sensations of this, but still, this was a helluva band at any point of it's life.

Yes, have and love both the Salle Pleyel and Pasadena concerts! I have the Uptown as well and listened to it at least twice when it first came out, but your post is going to inspire me to revisit it. 

A present from my best friend. . . ."American Epic" box set, disc 1.

Nice sound, music that isn't normally my cup of tea but nicely selected and sequenced.

If I were a neophyte to cds mastered from 78s I'd be really excited about the sound here, but truth is I've spent three decades exploring early recordings and there have been many good restorations and masterings along the way. But it is true there's an immediacy to the music brought about by the technology that is captivating. . . .

AMPC451.0.jpg&height=940&width=940

28 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Yes, have and love both the Salle Pleyel and Pasadena concerts! I have the Uptown as well and listened to it at least twice when it first came out, but your post is going to inspire me to revisit it. 

Not really sure what is left to obtain, but I try to pick up anything I see by that band. There's still a good amount that's not made it past they grey-market (on LP as well as CD), and I have no idea what still exists in collector's circuits.

The surprise hit for me was Queen Disc Q-003, Shrine Auditorium 1949. Yusef Lateef is on there (his sound is unmistakable, and somebody cheers him on with "Go Bill!")and stretches out on, iirc, "Ool-Ya-Koo". It's a magnificent solo, but then it fades out....sigh...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Well, not too much to say other than it was pretty well made up on the spot and Tubby didn’t know who would be in the band until the session started. Clark Terry was a very late addition. Hence the ‘jam session’ feel to both these LPs. On ‘Return Visit’, ‘Jimmy Gloomy’ said to Tubby that he had heard he was a rock and roll singer and had assumed that the session would be so (said deadpan apparently, not in jest). RRK and the rhythm section also all left in a rush at the end for their gigs. RRK apparently also took eons setting his kit up so Tubby was worried in case the session ended before he could play a note. :lol:

Nice!