Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Is that Billy Root on the tenor? I have the feeling that he was in a Gillespie Tribute Orchestra I saw in LA in the late 1990s. The lineup in that band was quite an eye-opener.

Yes, could be Billy Root, though he's listed as on baritone on this compilation album.

I first (and not much since) came across him on this album from those days where he's headlined with much bigger names:

Another_Monday_Night_at_Birdland.jpg

Edited by BillF

R-6253950-1414864721-1824.jpeg.jpg

Disc 1

and

41BGRNDe93L._SX395_.jpg

Disc 4

While listening to the albums above, I've been (re)reading Alyn Shipton's biography of Gillespie, Groovin' High.  In the book, Shipton quotes a passage written by Whitney Balliett describing Dizzy's trumpet playing.  Balliett's ability to describe music in "layman's language" is well-known for good reason.  Here's how Balliett describes Diz:  

"Few trumpeters have ever been blessed with so much technique.  Gillespie never merely started a solo, he erupted into it.  A good many bebop solos begin with four- or eight-bar breaks, and Gillespie, taking full advantage of this approach ... would hurl himself into the break, after a split second pause, with a couple of hundred notes that corkscrewed through several octaves, sometimes in triple time, and were carried, usually in one breath, past the end of the break and well into the solo itself. ... Gillespie's style at the time [the mid-40s] gave the impression--with its sharp, slightly acid tone, its cleavered phrase endings, its efflorescence of notes, and its brandings about in the upper registers--of being constantly on the verge of flying apart.  However, his playing was held together by his extraordinary rhythmic sense." 

Edited by HutchFan

3 hours ago, BillF said:

Yes, could be Billy Root, though he's listed as on baritone on this compilation album.

I first (and not much since) came across him on this album from those days where he's headlined with much bigger names:

Another_Monday_Night_at_Birdland.jpg

At least on the first volume Root is listed on tenor

40022377by.jpg

40022378oo.jpg

40022376hr.jpg