So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Dizzy Gillepsie "A Portrait of Duke Ellington" Verve cd

s-l640.jpg

I blew the dust off this one, haven't heard it in a long time. This is interesting because the arrangements and orchestrations are disctinctly non-Ellingtonian for the most part and Dizzy often plays here reverently and gracefully which was not always his modus operandi! Lots to enjoy here.

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jazzbo said:

Dizzy Gillepsie "A Portrait of Duke Ellington" Verve cd

s-l640.jpg

I blew the dust off this one, haven't heard it in a long time. This is interesting because the arrangements and orchestrations are disctinctly non-Ellingtonian for the most part and Dizzy often plays here reverently and gracefully which was not always his modus operandi! Lots to enjoy here.

Clare Fischer!

91SZG2h9DnL._SL500_.jpg

Shabaka & the Ancestors - We Are Sent Here by History (Impulse)

Very, very impressive.  And totally rooted in a late-60s/early-70s jazz vibe/aesthetic.  All sorts of echoes -- not a coincidence that this is on the Impulse imprint -- but re-swizzled and contemporary.  Along with Pharoah and Shepp and Marion Brown and the rest, S. African "township jazz" is also a huge part of their equation: the Blue Notes, Brotherhood of Breath, Moholo, Pukwana, Dyani.  (The bassist is killer à la Dyani.  Terrific GROOVE but more than just groove.)  Love the poetry, the freedom to fly around ignoring borders of genre, the visionary aspect.  This doesn't operate like "normal" jazz, nor is it trying to.  And I think that's exciting, especially when the music coalesces as well as this does.

Edited by HutchFan

52 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

91SZG2h9DnL._SL500_.jpg

Very, very impressive.  And totally rooted in a late-60s/early-70s jazz vibe/aesthetic.  All sorts of echoes -- not a coincidence that this is on the Impulse imprint -- but re-swizzled and contemporary.  Along with Pharoah and Shepp and Marion Brown and the rest, S. African "township jazz" is also a huge part of their equation: the Blue Notes, Brotherhood of Breath, Moholo, Pukwana, Dyani.  (The bassist is killer à la Dyani.  Terrific GROOVE but more than just groove.)  Love the poetry, the freedom to fly around ignoring borders of genre, the visionary aspect.  This doesn't operate like "normal" jazz, nor is it trying to.  And I think that's exciting, especially when the music coalesces as well as this does.

It's such a good album.  I like your description.  I'm guessing you know the first album too which is also very good.  As are albums by Hutchings' other band Sons Of Kemet, different but equally impressive.  

23 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

It's such a good album.  I like your description.  I'm guessing you know the first album too which is also very good.  As are albums by Hutchings' other band Sons Of Kemet, different but equally impressive.  

I've heard some of Hutchings other records -- Wisdom of Elders -- but I haven't listened especially closely.  We Are Sent Here by History is his first that I've really gotten to know.

That's going to be changing though.  :D 

NP:

51SAXQ5BKNL.jpg

Now this is a different cuppa altogether.  ;)

Such a great band.  Always great to hear Frank Strozier.  And Shelly Manne is so easy to overlook.  What an excellent drummer he was.  

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

91SZG2h9DnL._SL500_.jpg

Well said :tup

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

And Shelly Manne is so easy to overlook.  What an excellent drummer he was.

One of the best, although for me it's hard to overlook him. Those live Black Hawk dates are all essential IMO. 

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

91SZG2h9DnL._SL500_.jpg

It's a really good record, that one. I think it's one of the first records I'd heard in a while that's so successful at crossing over between genres, without losing its jazz heart. You could play it really loud on a sound system and it would go down well. 

My 17 year old cousin recently got my 81 year old aunt really into Shabaka. She keeps sending me YouTube clips of him soloing. He's got an appeal across the ages. 

19 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

04ed3c3307a2bf390a1cfabcf2713f27.jpg

Toans for Joan's Bones. Ferrell & Shaw take off on this one. 

One time ca. 1970 I entered a record store in Washington.  The albums were sorted by label rather than by artist.

The manager asked me what I was looking for, and I said, "Vortex."  He said, "Tones for Joan's Bones!"