• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Don said:

816nQCFLWbL._SL1300_.jpg

One of the best hard bop albums of all time. 

I heard sometimes, that it was almost a signature theme in japanese tea houses where they played jazz. "Cool Struttin" and Lou Donaldson´s "Blues Walk". 

And last not least: One of the best album covers ever. 

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 7:29 AM, JSngry said:

R-1961817-1451259587-1220.jpeg.jpg

R-1961817-1520191325-2263.jpeg.jpg

Oh my YES!!!!

Having another day wit this one, it's getting better with every listen. Funny how "Third Stream" in its original iteration was at best only somewhat organic, a lot of grafting and episodsim. This is none of that, this is a totally organic music, and not just as composition. the playing is as well, it's like nobody needed a lot of "show me how to ____", sounds like everybody kinda already knew.

I love it when musics come together, not as marketing or as super-collider experiments, but just because when people keep moving, at some point they start hearing each other because that's what you do when something comes into range - you either block it out totally or else you keep listening and come closer.

Besides, it might not have been as evident in 1988 as it is today, but Anthony Davis is a really committed composer and all that comes with that.

R-9293245-1610395212-3305.jpeg.jpg

From the Texan Justice label. It sounds so good, so relaxed that it's fun to listen to just for the excellent recorded sound, in the sense of a true high end recording, but the players are all in fine form. If you want a natural trumpet sound, here 'tis.

15 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

One of the best hard bop albums of all time. 

I heard sometimes, that it was almost a signature theme in japanese tea houses where they played jazz. "Cool Struttin" and Lou Donaldson´s "Blues Walk". 

And last not least: One of the best album covers ever. 

aha -  "Leg´s Man":D ... see "Album Covers with Bare Feet" ...