Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I remember visiting their Munich branch in person. Back in the 1980s their prices compared very well with anywhere in the UK. Remember buying a bunch of Trane and Monk and Bill Evans Riverside box set vinyl. Came out with empty pockets..

I've been buying there since the 90s but what I really remember is the huge OJC sale about 15 years ago... nowadays the regular shops have all vanished (at least those that I knew), only some shop-in-shop branches within bookstores seem to be left, saw one in Münster fairly recently, but the "magic" (=great cds at great prices) seems to be gone just like everywhere...

R-4537198-1607837940-1939.jpeg.jpg

René Thomas - Guitar Groove

hadn't played this one in ages, even stronger (and far more mellow) than I remembered it

6 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

81CgVhvuNDL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I've become a great fan of Mr Weldon recently, watching him on YouTube from Smalls or Emmet's Place. Never fails to ignite a session! :excited:

1 hour ago, Niko said:

R-4537198-1607837940-1939.jpeg.jpg

That's a fine one! :tup

Now playing:

61EN5D81CdL._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2C

Jeff Rupert/George Garzone

Edited by BillF

1 hour ago, Niko said:

I've been buying there since the 90s but what I really remember is the huge OJC sale about 15 years ago...

FOPP (almost RIP) over here did the same thing around 2010. £3 each, including many of the limited ones. Fill yer boots time..

They also had quite a number of box sets, including Debut, Contemporary Records and the Riverside Story at giveaway prices.

Edited by sidewinder

22 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

FOPP (almost RIP) over here did the same thing around 2010. £3 each, including many of the limited ones. Fill yer boots time..

They also had quite a number of box sets, including Debut, Contemporary Records and the Riverside Story at giveaway prices.

yes, I remember FOPP from UK visits... for me, that OJC sale was really a transformative life event... I was jazz fan before, attending concerts sometimes and being happy with my 50 or so jazz cds... but over the course of about half a year in the middle of 2006 during that sale I bought one or two new OJCs every day (3 Euro a piece), becoming far more seriously interested, joining this fine community and turning into, well, a collector of jazz records  ...

R-2291479-1354382495-4492.jpeg.jpg

Lou Bennett - Pentacostal Feeling

more Rene Thomas... (and what a weird cover... they forgot the word "Pentecostal" but it's added on the original backcover... I have the Jazz in Paris CD)

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

There’s still a FOPP in Covent Garden, London - alas, not up to the standard it once was though.

the music industry has changed... I've never been to London for record shopping... I believe I got to know FOPP in Cambridge in 2008 or 2009...

R-7012137-1495897481-5472.jpeg.jpg

Relaxez-Vous Avec Jack Diéval Et Son Quartette

never replaced my fairly beat-up vinyl copy of this one by a better one because the music really isn't that great... got this for  René Thomas of course, who plays on half the tracks... the other half are Beatles covers played by Diéval and his trio... and Diéval is not my first, second or third choice for a French pianist in that period (early 60s) ... to his defense, nobody in the early 60s could quite predict just how worn out songs like Yesterday or Michelle would sound 60 years later... still, there are some nice solos by Thomas

R-2573961-1291155449.jpeg.jpg

René Thomas ‎– Hommage à ... René Thomas

TPL on Vogel was the last René Thomas album, which makes this one, recorded five days earlier on February 21 1974, the next to last... this was recorded for the radio show Sesjun [and by now my Dutch is good enough to understand that this is pronounced like the English word ... "Session"] which means the sound is much better than on the Vogel album... why the label decided to market this record as if it was some type tribute album is beyond me... it's Thomas himself playing a program of his usual songs with one of the classical Dutch rhythm sections of that time period (Rob Franken on electric piano, Koos Serierse on bass, Louis Debij on drums)... as much as I love Jacques Pelzer, Rein de Graaff and Han Bennink... this is much better than TPL...

12 minutes ago, Niko said:

R-2573961-1291155449.jpeg.jpg

René Thomas ‎– Hommage à ... René Thomas

TPL on Vogel was the last René Thomas album, which makes this one, recorded five days earlier on February 21 1974, the next to last... this was recorded for the radio show Sesjun [and by now my Dutch is good enough to understand that this is pronounced like the English word ... "Session"] which means the sound is much better than on the Vogel album... why the label decided to market this record as if it was some type tribute album is beyond me... it's Thomas himself playing a program of his usual songs with one of the classical Dutch rhythm sections of that time period (Rob Franken on electric piano, Koos Serierse on bass, Louis Debij on drums)... as much as I love Jacques Pelzer, Rein de Graaff and Han Bennink... this is much better than TPL...

Just found this on Spotify, early impressions are very favourable indeed.  I need to investigate Mr. Thomas further

81eeXI0LyxL._SS500_.jpg

Ingfried Hoffmann's Hammond Tales

realizing only now that the title is alluding to the Offenbach opera "Tales of Hoffmann" (and probably the books, too)... there's not that much Rene Thomas on spotify - but there is some, including this album... basically, this is Klaus Doldinger's rhythm section of the time (Hoffmann at the organ, Helmut Kandlberger, Klaus Weiss) with Thomas taking Doldinger's place... Thomas does find places to shine... but in 1963 the hippest organ playing was still happening in the US... in the coming decades, Hoffmann would become the eminent composer of music for children's TV shows on German TV, deeply influencing multiple generations (including me)... and the traits that made him excel in that business may well have the same traits that led him into some dubious choices here... basically, you get the impression that he is picking his organ sounds to impress 5 year olds as effectively as possible... not a bad album at all but Thomas' organ albums with Louiss and Bennett are better...