• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

“Benny Goodman in Moscow.”  (I remember there was some criticism at the time (1962) that Goodman was hardly representative of where Jazz was at, why not send someone more modern - I always bought into that and avoided the LP  - but listening now for the first time I have a different view. Plenty of room for Joe Newman, Phil Woods, Zoot Sims and others, Mel Lewis is the drummer, the band includes Victor Feldman, Jimmy Knepper, there are a couple of Tadd Dameron arrangements...  Goodman - who sounds good - almost takes a back seat.)

22 minutes ago, DMP said:

“Benny Goodman in Moscow.”  (I remember there was some criticism at the time (1962) that Goodman was hardly representative of where Jazz was at, why not send someone more modern - I always bought into that and avoided the LP  - but listening now for the first time I have a different view. Plenty of room for Joe Newman, Phil Woods, Zoot Sims and others, Mel Lewis is the drummer, the band includes Victor Feldman, Jimmy Knepper, there are a couple of Tadd Dameron arrangements...  Goodman - who sounds good - almost takes a back seat.)

Plenty of love for that one here!

01_Hawkins.jpg

Got into jazz and the Mosaic game way too late and so only have disc 2 from this set as it was OOP. Tracks from the Chocolate Dandies, Fletcher Henderson orchestra, Mound City Blue Blowers, etc. are just incredible here. Any other comps out there that track with the rest of this set? This one doesn't seem to show up much on the secondary market...