Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Duane Tatro - Jazz for Moderns, a perfect album for TTK!  

Love that record. Talked to Tatro on the phone once many years ago. Nice guy, pleased to hear that his music was the subject of  admiration. He said that he was going to send me a tape of the premiere performance of the  12-tone guitar concerto he wrote for Howard Roberts, but the tape began with a radio announcer's intro and then nada.

35 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Love that record. Talked to Tatro on the phone once many years ago. Nice guy, pleased to hear that his music was the subject of  admiration. He said that he was going to send me a tape of the premiere performance of the  12-tone guitar concerto he wrote for Howard Roberts, but the tape began with a radio announcer's intro and then nada.

Crazy!

I first became aware of Duane Tatro via his music for the 1960s TV show The Invaders.  I think I learned of Jazz for Moderns here. I have played the album quite a bit, and I like the whole record, but I have not yet gotten to the point where I can really distinguish the tunes from each other.  The ensemble textures are very similar from track to track.  Not meant as a criticism; I will just have to spend more time with the album to really absorb the individual melodies and chord structures.  

2 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Crazy!

I first became aware of Duane Tatro via his music for the 1960s TV show The Invaders.  I think I learned of Jazz for Moderns here. I have played the album quite a bit, and I like the whole record, but I have not yet gotten to the point where I can really distinguish the tunes from each other.  The ensemble textures are very similar from track to track.  Not meant as a criticism; I will just have to spend more time with the album to really absorb the individual melodies and chord structures.  

The key piece there IMO is "Minor Incident,"with that beautiful horn call -- as firmly knitted together as a piece by Monk, albeit quite different in 

atmosphere.  I believe that Bob Enevoldsen's valve trombone solo on that piece was written out for him by Tatro.