So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

2 hours ago, BillF said:

71wlo3B4poL._AC_SL1400_.jpg

Sure a bunch of great musicians. Maybe if I would have lived around that time, I might have attended those JATP events just to see all those giants. 

But I am too young and was born in 1959, so when I started to listen to jazz, it was more in the chronological order from mid -fourties on.

And 1955 for me is mostly Miles forming his quintet with Trane, Cliff Brown and all the upcoming BN-artists like Mobley, Blakey, Horace Silver, Lee Morgan, Sonny Rollins and all of them. 

Really Allstar Bands were very rare when I started in the 70´s. Giants of Jazz was finished, oh yeah, the one I really remind was VSOP quintet, that´s an all star unit I heard . 

8 minutes ago, BillF said:

20-MYFUNNYVAL.jpg

This and "Four and More", some of my favourites

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had some birthday money so I ordered more of the fellow birthday boy's new reissues from Japan and they arrived in 3 days.

Listened to:

"Louis Armstrong meets Oscar Peterson" UHQCD

MI0003104856.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

"Satchmo in Style" UHQCD

914d42d5b418d1883f3566853af76559.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

"Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane – The Complete 1957 Riverside Recordings" disc 1

This set has lived in my car a long time as it's perfect to pop one disc in on the way to my Dad's and one in for the way back home--and provides a jazz kick and an intellectual snack for the trip. Today I took it out of the car to listen to on the main system. Boy does it sound great!

8626eff35745da13a4cf306c00a56d46.jpg

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Sure a bunch of great musicians. Maybe if I would have lived around that time, I might have attended those JATP events just to see all those giants. 

But I am too young and was born in 1959, so when I started to listen to jazz, it was more in the chronological order from mid -fourties on.

And 1955 for me is mostly Miles forming his quintet with Trane, Cliff Brown and all the upcoming BN-artists like Mobley, Blakey, Horace Silver, Lee Morgan, Sonny Rollins and all of them. 

Really Allstar Bands were very rare when I started in the 70´s. Giants of Jazz was finished, oh yeah, the one I really remind was VSOP quintet, that´s an all star unit I heard . 

This and "Four and More", some of my favourites

Nice response, Gheorghe. 

I, too, was too young for this JATP session, as I didn't start listening till I was 17 in 1957. But, anyway, the British Musicians Union had a ban on visiting Americans at the time, though I seem to have heard that JATP got into Essex (?) in about '53 at an American airbase (?). (Someone will know about this.) The nearest Kenton got to the UK in '53 was Ireland and I've spoken to slightly older fans who made the journey. But at least I was early enough to see Jimmy Rushing and Hines with Teagarden (all in '57).

53 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

R-9353351-1486553985-9773.png.jpg

That album is a gas! :excited:

I'm now listening to this one: 

Bob Degen Quarter - Children of the Night (Enja, 1978)

R-3283139-1393251212-3060.jpeg.jpg

Cameron Brown on bass and Terumasa Hino have great chemistry - they played together on Moods by Mal Waldron too. Brown is one of those great bass players who can really fling a group along - as he does on those Pullen / Adams Quartet classics.

Edited by Rabshakeh

1 minute ago, mjazzg said:

I don't know Szabados's work either. Onto YouTube I go, thanks

He's a Hungarian pianist who plays free jazz (loosely defined), but from a position that is heavily informed by classical pianism and I think also Hungarian folk motifs. I suspect that other members may know more of him than I do (I picked up the reference here).

Most of his records are out on the 'Tube.

This is the first one that I'd heard where he is comping, rather than acting as joint lead.