Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Bill Holman was in the 1980ies one of the leaders of the WDR Big Band in Cologne along with Mel Lewis and played many of his great  compositions the first time here in Germany, sometime  first a rehearshed studio version and then a public concert. Everything transmitted by german radio Cologne (WDR)

At that time the WDR big band had no regular drummer so Mel sat in very often also with other US guests. Great times will never come back!

I saw Holman only once - in the 90s at the Wigan Jazz Festival with the orchestra that made the Monk album. It was particularly nice to see some veterans of West Coast Jazz of the 50s - not just Holman himself, but also Bill Perkins and Bob Enevoldsen.

8 hours ago, sonnyhill said:

51Fl4P5wASL.jpg

Max Roach - speak, brother, SPEAK! (Debut)

a2633561447_16.jpg

Gerald Cleaver - Signs (577 Records)

71MsLIFuQ1S._SL1200_.jpg

JD Allen - Queen City (Savant)

On 13.8.2021 at 8:18 AM, Gheorghe said:

Max Roach Speak Brother Speak is fantastic. I bought it after first seeing Max Roach live. It had another cover than (AMERICA Label). The other two albums I don´t know, never heard the names....

3 hours ago, BillF said:

I saw Holman only once - in the 90s at the Wigan Jazz Festival with the orchestra that made the Monk album. It was particularly nice to see some veterans of West Coast Jazz of the 50s - not just Holman himself, but also Bill Perkins and Bob Enevoldsen.

I met him once. Chatted with him about touring with Vic Lewis !  Nice guy. Perkins and Enevoldsen were around at that event too, also in the 90s.

Cy Touff was conducting a recreation of his ‘Keester Parade’ band but no longer playing by then.

Edited by sidewinder