Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

What do you make of it? I listened a few times a while ago and thought it had something. Yesterday I listened to her preceding one on that label and thought it merited the attention.

I enjoy it. Not my favourite, but good. I agree she has something. I like the mix of her quite deep soft sound versus her sense of timing, which is more like an alto player's. I could do without the poems. Hopefully there is more development to come.

How about you?

22 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I enjoy it. Not my favourite, but good. I agree she has something. I like the mix of her quite deep soft sound versus her sense of timing, which is more like an alto player's. I could do without the poems. Hopefully there is more development to come.

How about you?

I remember really enjoying it at the time and thought it sounded quite fresh but maybe a little weighed down by the concept. Just having listened to 'Magdalena' I think I prefer that but to be fair it's a while since I've heard 'Reciprocity'.  Time for some attention.

As you say, it's early days for her recorded career so one to keep an eye on, I think.

Now I'm reliving the late 90s and watching an Erik Truffaz stream from Ronnies. 

11 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

61ZSnHhyamL._AC_UY218_.jpg

:tup

Now playing:

R-5652867-1399028616-1397.jpeg.jpg

9 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Disc 1

61Li5M7rzOL._SX522_.jpg

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

81rbcsFQBGL._SS600_.jpg

BN Conn series CD; originally released as two Pacific Jazz LPs:
- Gil Fuller & the Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra featuring Dizzy Gillespie 
- Gil Fuller & the Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra featuring James Moody - Night Flight 

Just finished:

Wolfgang Dauber Trio - Dream Talk (CBS 1964)

R-1324465-1378329690-9316.jpeg.jpg

and

Roy Ayers - Coffy (Polydor, 1973)

R-523674-1335764299.jpeg.jpg

Now on: 

Bennie Wallace - Plays Monk (Enja, 1981)

R-2737892-1298828581.jpeg.jpg

My first time listening to it. I wasn't actually aware of its existence until @HutchFan posted it above and then @Gheorghe followed with the lovely recollection. Was it a big deal at the time? 

A lot of these 1980s records slip through the gaps. They're not great for sampling or particularly "spiritual" so DJ culture has no interest in them, and the jazz marketing gods aren't bothered about exploiting their 1980s catalogues. 

Just another reason to look forward to the new blog.

Edited by Rabshakeh

32 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

My first time listening to it. I wasn't actually aware of its existence until @HutchFan posted it above and then @Gheorghe followed with the lovely recollection. Was it a big deal at the time? 

A lot of these 1980s records slip through the gaps. They're not great for sampling or particularly "spiritual" so DJ culture has no interest in them, and the jazz marketing gods aren't bothered about exploiting their 1980s catalogues. 

Just another reason to look forward to the new blog.

Bennie Wallace is a truely underrated master. Too sad we don't have any new recordings from him since 2006.

37 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Just finished:

Wolfgang Dauber Trio - Dream Talk (CBS 1964)

R-1324465-1378329690-9316.jpeg.jpg

and

Roy Ayers - Coffy (Polydor, 1973)

R-523674-1335764299.jpeg.jpg

Now on: 

R-2737892-1298828581.jpeg.jpg

Big deal at the time.....I don´t know. It was more a musician´s kind of favourite. You must know, the small after hours clubs was very much musicians or budding musicians listening and discussing the music maybe not from the way non playing music lovers might listen to it. That´s the way I was brought up: Listen and Learn. I heard it at the mentioned club and no one less than the wonderful alto saxophonist Allen Praskin, who had settled in Europe pulled my coat to it. One day we both were at my place and before the regular rehearsal for a gig startet, he wanted to run through some Monk tunes with me , I remember one of "Four in One", and the other was a particulary difficult tune from the 1952BN session. And Mr. Praskin said to me I should listen to the Bennie Wallace version, the more open approach to the Monk compositions..... like if Mr. Praskin played old bop standards but with the knowledge that there was Jackie McLean, Dolphy, and Ornette after that......, just wonderful.

So I´d say it was especially interesting for musicians who studied Monk´s music.....

Masabumi Kikuchi - Susto (CBS, 1981)

72D1435A-44ED-4E45-8442-A891C9916B7A.jpeg

There’s a growing view in some circles that Miles Davis’ comeback records are worth a re-evaluation, alongside the not-so-recent reevaluation of his 1970s work and Hancock’s Mwandishi group. I’ve never been a hater when it comes to 80s Miles (or Marcus Miller), but I’m struck listening to this Kikuchi record at just how much better they could have been.

Edited by Rabshakeh