• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That totally groovy Candid session with Roy Eldridge, Eric Dolphy, Jimmy Knepper, Tommy Flanagan, Charles Mingus, and Jo Jones.

Eldridge & Dolphy together would probably work nowhere else but on a record date, but...here one is, and listening to the contrast - and when Dolphy wants to go "vocal" the similarities - is one more reason why Records Are Your Best Entertainment Value!

records-are-your-best-.jpg

Late last night and again today:

R-11780860-1522483588-2300.jpeg.jpg

Weather Report - Night Passage (Columbia/Legacy)
I'm listening to the CD from The Columbia Albums 1976-1982 box set.  It includes four live bonus cuts. 

Definitely one of their best studio albums, IMO. ... And the live cuts are ridunkulous.

Up next:

R-5735807-1592850652-4253.jpeg.jpg

Weather Report [1982] (Columbia/Legacy)
An end of sorts.  After this LP, Pastorius, Erskine, and Thomas all departed.

36 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Cannonball Adderley - The Price You Gotta Pay To Be Free (Capitol, 1970)

The_Price_You_Got_to_Pay_to_be_Free.jpg

There's so much cool stuff happening on this record.

Nice! I'm going to listen to this next.

Zawinul is everywhere! ;) 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

That totally groovy Candid session with Roy Eldridge, Eric Dolphy, Jimmy Knepper, Tommy Flanagan, Charles Mingus, and Jo Jones.

Eldridge & Dolphy together would probably work nowhere else but on a record date, but...here one is, and listening to the contrast - and when Dolphy wants to go "vocal" the similarities - is one more reason why Records Are Your Best Entertainment Value!

records-are-your-best-.jpg

Do I know this one as Newport Rebels:)

7 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

Great disc title! What about the music? 

Lots of chopped up samples of everything from vibes (Mwamba’s a reasonably-known vibes player on the British scene, not sure of what his worldwide presence is) to dulcimer and a Swiss exercise ball, recorded a home on a laptop. Very much of the “MySpace generation”. I’m not sure that it’s jazz, really, but it’s aged surprisingly well for what it is. It’s available to sample on his Bandcamp page, if you fancy a taste. It lists the wines he was drinking whilst making it.

From the list, I’m afraid to say that the Rioja in question probably wasn’t Spain’s finest export.

Edited by Rabshakeh

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Eldridge & Dolphy together would probably work nowhere else but on a record date, but...here one is, and listening to the contrast - and when Dolphy wants to go "vocal" the similarities - is one more reason why Records Are Your Best Entertainment Value

Were they not together live at Newport before the recording was made? 

5 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Were they not together live at Newport before the recording was made? 

They might have been, at the Rebel Festival. But Ornette played with KD there as well, and that would not have worked more than once!

I guess what i meant was as an ongoing engagement, like for a club date of any duration.