Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

R-6755875-1496853260-4155.jpeg.jpg

Lew Soloff - Hanalei Bay (Electric Bird/ProJazz, 1985)

The rhythm section on this disc -- Gil Evans (el p), Pete Levin (synth), Mark Egan (el b), and Adam Nussbaum (d) -- is drawn from Evans' Monday Night Orchestra, as heard on the recording above.  Soloff played in that band too, of course. 

37 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Quite fascinating music, marred a bit by Hiram "The Butcher" Bullock's presence/playing ....

Hmm...  I've never had much of a reaction to Bullock, one way or the other. (My biggest association: Him playing with the "Late Night with David Letterman" band.)

What is it about Bullock's playing bothers you? 

Incidentally, he also appears on Hanalei Bay.

Edited by HutchFan

Kenny Graham's Afro-Cubists Volume One - Mango Walk (Esquire, 1951-3)

R-5450064-1393675884-9409.jpeg.jpg

Nice one, which I don't own but listened to on the YouTubes after reading a reference to it in a blog. From the looks of it, it was a London bebop band, with West African percussionists, playing Afro-Cuban bebop. What I heard is very witty and really enjoyable.

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Hmm...  I've never had much of a reaction to Bullock, one way or the other. (My biggest association: Him playing with the "Late Night with David Letterman" band.)

What is it about Bullock's playing bothers you? 

Too loud, too intense, simply way too much rock-oriented presence .... in general I'm not an aficionado of electric guitars, but here in places he dictates the sound of the band .... f.i. Ryo Kawasaki or John Beck had a much better intergrated role in this band ....

Tom Rainey Obbligato - Untucked in Hannover (Intakt, 2021)

R-18588244-1620143738-9162.jpeg.jpg

First listen to this one. I had high expectations due to the players, but I thought it very disappointing: despite some good solos, I found it a bit too diffuse, serious and without much drive, which I think afflicts a lot of forward thinking modern jazz. 

3 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

BTW, many thanks for your info on the Sippin' Rioja disc. Not my cup of tea, I am afraid. The disc, not the wine... :)

Ha ha. Indeed.