• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I think this one is very underrated. 

Indeed. I like the musicians involved but was a bit wary at first given the nature of the project. I was very pleasantly surprised, it is both a solid jazz & hip-hop record.  It is a well-thought and executed project. Between the music of the band, the scratches&mastering from Damu and the (fluid but not flowing) rapping of Raw Poetic, 82 years old Shepp blends in as a charm.

NP: Gene Ammons - Got my own

4 minutes ago, aparxa said:

Indeed. I like the musicians involved but was a bit wary at first given the nature of the project. I was very pleasantly surprised, it is both a solid jazz & hip-hop record.  It is a well-thought and executed project. Between the music of the band, the scratches&mastering from Damu and the (fluid but not flowing) rapping of Raw Poetic, 82 years old Shepp blends in as a charm.

I’m extremely allergic to crossover attempts between jazz and hip hop (as opposed to other electronic, “urban” or rap genres, which I think work more naturally, or hip hop with jazz samples), but I think that so much love and time has gone into this one that it really works.

Edited by Rabshakeh

20 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I’m extremely allergic to crossover attempts between jazz and hip hop (as opposed to other electronic, “urban” or rap genres, which I think work more naturally, or hip hop with jazz samples), but I think that so much love and time has gone into this one that it really works.

I agree. A few hip hop bands mix jazz samples with rapping in a way I really enjoy (The Roots, Mos Def, The Sound Providers, Digable, PUTS, J5, Kero One, Guru etc), but the crossover attempts have been mostly disappointing so far. Which is a bit of a surprise, I see no actual reason why a strong jazz band with someone on the scratches/beats and a decent MC should not be working.  BTW, discussing hip-hop on this forum reminds me of this (no offense :lol:):
Ingrid-Bergman_-Stromboli_-Italy_-1949_-

NP: Duke Ellington - The Greatest Paris Concert

9 minutes ago, sonnyhill said:

a0859048331_10.jpg

Olie Brice / Tobias Delius / Mark Sanders - somersaults (Two Rivers Records)

That's a good album 

I'm reacquainting myself, after far too long, with 

Tomas Stanko New York Quartet - Wislawa 

Very strong 

Edited by mjazzg

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Haven't listened to this in years.

71vQgZ+I4dL._SX522_.jpg

I listened to this a LOT back around 1991-92 (and I know the year, because it was when I was working on my second BA) — and now whenever I go back to it every 4-5 years or so, I’m shocked how familiar it all seems, even all these years later.

I’ve never made any sense of it, but I do feel like I connected with it pretty darn well back then, when I was about 21.