Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

On Believe, the song Christina really features Ramsey's bass. I don't see any further credits beyond Chico's 2014 The Inquiring Mind. 

This is before then, but it looks interesting: https://www.allmusic.com/album/between-the-lines-mw0000575249

If this is accurate....he made a Gospel record in 1973: https://www.discogs.com/release/11366003-Professor-Benny-Cummings-And-The-Kings-Temple-Choir-COGIC-Gods-Music-Is-My-Life

On the Thoughts Of... record, he's got a tune called "PJ"...."Praise Jesus"?

Wouldn't be the first guy I know to go back to church music...with the right gig, it pays a helluva lot better than jazz...

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

This is before then, but it looks interesting: https://www.allmusic.com/album/between-the-lines-mw0000575249

If this is accurate....he made a Gospel record in 1973: https://www.discogs.com/release/11366003-Professor-Benny-Cummings-And-The-Kings-Temple-Choir-COGIC-Gods-Music-Is-My-Life

On the Thoughts Of... record, he's got a tune called "PJ"...."Praise Jesus"?

Wouldn't be the first guy I know to go back to church music...with the right gig, it pays a helluva lot better than jazz...

I saw a lead that he may have played bass for Kirk Franklin, so if that's the same guy then those may be accurate as well. 

71XhaiKQVXL._SY355_.jpg

Wonderful album by Masabumi Kikuchi, Ben Street and Thomas Morgan on bass and Krestin Osgood on drums

followed by one of the best releasees I've heard in a while. 

61sDXrt0StL._SS500_.jpg

Ming Bau Set - Yakut's Gallop which is Vera Baumann on vocals, Florestan Berset on Electric Guitar and Gerry Hemingway on Harmonica, Vocals and Drums. 

Absolutely captivating music.

Though in the last few weeks I was listening much more to modal, free, fusion etc, yesterday for my daily hour of record listening I decided to go ALL the way back , to the days of bop. First I thought about some Fats or early Dex etc, but then I said to me better the Mr.B and the Band, since I love B´s voice very much. 

This together with the Spotlite "Together" is the stuff where you really hear the band. 

And those arrangements (Dameron) and chords combined with Mr. B, it´s wonderful. 

A friend of mine who already has passed , also liked this stuff very much, but later bought a lot of the more commercial sides, like that "Billy and Sarah again" , but the big band that plays sounds quite boring to me, kind of routine without a really "brand" like the old band or like "Thad Jones-Mel Lewis" or "TALT" ....

So IMHO this is the best Mr.B for a musician who listens to the instrumentation too. And the solos of stars like Fats, Dex, Jug, KD and so on......, 
The way they interpretate ballads like "Cottage for Sale" "I´m in the Mood for Love" "Without a Song", and listen to the exiting bop stuff they make out of a simple thing like "Jitney Man" , "I like the Rhythm in a Riff" and also the instrumentals of bop classics like "Cool Breeze", "Oo Bop Sh Bam" and "2´nd Balcony  Jumb".
The last side is less interesting, it starts to change into those syrop string things that sounds like old films ..... 

Herunterladen (5).jpg

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Though in the last few weeks I was listening much more to modal, free, fusion etc, yesterday for my daily hour of record listening I decided to go ALL the way back , to the days of bop. First I thought about some Fats or early Dex etc, but then I said to me better the Mr.B and the Band, since I love B´s voice very much. 

This together with the Spotlite "Together" is the stuff where you really hear the band. 

And those arrangements (Dameron) and chords combined with Mr. B, it´s wonderful. 

A friend of mine who already has passed , also liked this stuff very much, but later bought a lot of the more commercial sides, like that "Billy and Sarah again" , but the big band that plays sounds quite boring to me, kind of routine without a really "brand" like the old band or like "Thad Jones-Mel Lewis" or "TALT" ....

So IMHO this is the best Mr.B for a musician who listens to the instrumentation too. And the solos of stars like Fats, Dex, Jug, KD and so on......, 
The way they interpretate ballads like "Cottage for Sale" "I´m in the Mood for Love" "Without a Song", and listen to the exiting bop stuff they make out of a simple thing like "Jitney Man" , "I like the Rhythm in a Riff" and also the instrumentals of bop classics like "Cool Breeze", "Oo Bop Sh Bam" and "2´nd Balcony  Jumb".
The last side is less interesting, it starts to change into those syrop string things that sounds like old films ..... 

Herunterladen (5).jpg

I share your views on that one. :tup

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

Joining in to Niehaus with the collection here in Germany

;-]]

42942693ir.jpg

:tup

Now playing:

john-lewis-improvised-meditations-and-ex

600x600bb.jpg
Blue Moods "Myth & Wisdom" . . . a really nice sounding Mingus tribute album. I think I could have enjoyed another horn alongside the tenor sax, but in this quartet format the music and arrangements did make me think of a Monk influence on Mingus. If you are going to do an album of Mingus material pianist Kikoski is a great choice! Hirahara does a great job as well.

Edited by jazzbo