• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, soulpope said:

Powell.png

Yes, the Mythic Sound CDs. 
But I have not listend to them for long time. This one is half solo in Paris, half trio in NY. 
The solo pieces, like many many of that kind that were recorded at Francis Paudras´ home and are not among the best Bud. The trio pieces ar better. At least, Bud plays the right Bridge on "Well You Neednt" and not the wrong one, that started with Miles on "Steamin" and is mostly played on sessions. 
Isn´t Bemsha Swing also on that ? Bud didn´t know the tune , he plays the wrong chords and is unsure and after one chorus he leaves it to the drummer. 

As for the NY Birdland performances, Bud is much better on Vol. 9 and 10 (Return to Birdland and Award at Birdland), but not everything of the later Bud Powell is good for learning the stuff....

71-jULprNvL._SL1229_.jpg

Chico Hamilton's Revelation from 2011. This one isn't in Discogs for some reason, and was hard to find on All Music. All About Jazz review is here. So far, of the late Hamilton's I've listened to this one is my favorite. Band includes Paul Ramsey, Nick Demopoulos, Evan Schwam, Mayu Saeki, and Jeremy Carlstedt. 

After this one, I went to:

cGVn.jpeg

But the transition sucked and I couldn't get into it. Going back to some Chico for now and will try this again later. 

a3392665926_16.jpg

Tatiana Parra "Inteira" Japan cd

I had never heard though heard of Ms Parra and when I saw this cd for 1.99 it was a prime time to try her music out.

Very Brazilian but sophisticated fusion of differing styles and quite jazzy at times. I'm glad I took a chance! She has a nice supple voice.

Thiago Amud "De Ponta A Ponta Tudo E Praia-Palma"

Another 1.99 take a punt and a very well-recorded album. Brazilian, modern, more folk oriented than say Hermeto Pascoal but with a bit of that goofy gravitas going on. The contrabass violinist is featured to good effect.  Enjoying the listen!

amud_thiago_depontaap_101b.jpg 

Thiago-Amud.jpg

I recently started using a random integer generator to alleviate some of the usual indecisiveness regarding what to listen to. Up next in the cue:

Etkin, Oran    Gathering Light    2014    Motema Music    

81k09AdavSL._SX425_.jpg

Galper, Hal    Live At Maybeck Recital Hall, Volume Six    1990    Concord

51G6V5F7KHL.jpg

Malik, Raphe/McPhee, Joe/Robinson, Donald    Sympathy    2002    Boxholder Records    

NDU2NS5qcGVn.jpeg

Peterson, Marvin “Hannibal”    One With The Wind    1993    Muse    

ZWc.jpeg

Reddy, Rob     Songs That You Can Trust    1999    Koch    

51UuJv0O0pL.jpg