Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, John Tapscott said:

:tup That's a good one. I was thinking about Hicks just yesterday and realized that I haven't listened to him recently. Must get to it.  

I don't know the Hicks albums well. Which do you recommend? (So far, this one seems very good.)

18 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Great lineup of musicians on this very good album.

Herb Geller, Kenny Dorham, Harold Land, Lou Levy, Ray Brown, Lawrence Marable

51BZTyTkz6L._AC_UY218_.jpg

:tup

51Clcbu2aOL._SX466_.jpg

Weber Iago "Os Filhos do Vento (Children of the Wind)" Adventure Music cd

As with every Adventure cd I've bought excellent sound. Interesting music. . . world music I'd say, with a strong jazz seasoning. . . or vice versa?

Edited by jazzbo

5 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

51IbTK3POLL.jpg

Thanks for posting this one. 
As a fan of Tadd (starting with his arrangements for Billy Eckstine and Dizzy) as well as his unique piano style with those broad chords mixed with some typical single lines, I bought some of his albums, mostly the Royal Roost band, the Atlantic City Band and the two 56 records, the one with "Fountain Bleu" and the collaboration with Trane.

So I was really lookin forward when I saw "the Magic Touch". Great players indeed, but somehow on some tunes it seems that his newer compositions didn´t have that catchy quality that I liked on his earlier compositions, and I played many of his compositions in my live. And I really miss Tadd himself on piano. Somehow it reminds me of those last two Mingus LPs when Mingus couldn´t play anymore and you miss his strong bass. So I miss Tadd´s piano comping and his short "solos". I read that he was very very sick in the 60´s and couldn´t play anymore....

18 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

A1t2QMqb1bL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Fritz Pauer was the first piano player I saw live when I was a high school kid and somehow a mentor for me. He encouraged me to play, to sit in and meet other musicians, which is remarkable since he was a jazz teacher at Jazz Conservatory, but I was not a student, he just said I got talent, and that was one of the greatest compliments I got in my life. 

And I remember Erich Bachträgl very well, but during the time I heard Pauer frequently, Tony Inzalaco was his drummer. 

a2072444211_10.jpg

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

So I was really lookin forward when I saw "the Magic Touch". Great players indeed, but somehow on some tunes it seems that his newer compositions didn´t have that catchy quality that I liked on his earlier compositions, and I played many of his compositions in my live. And I really miss Tadd himself on piano. Somehow it reminds me of those last two Mingus LPs when Mingus couldn´t play anymore and you miss his strong bass. So I miss Tadd´s piano comping and his short "solos". I read that he was very very sick in the 60´s and couldn´t play anymore....

I think Tadd ended up marrying the English-born nurse who looked after him in the NYC hospital back in the early 60s. I recall an interview with her by the BBC on the ‘Sounds of Jazz’ show back in the 70s, with recollections of Tadd. Wish I’d recorded it !

Edited by sidewinder

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

As a fan of Tadd (starting with his arrangements for Billy Eckstine and Dizzy) as well as his unique piano style with those broad chords mixed with some typical single lines, I bought some of his albums, mostly the Royal Roost band, the Atlantic City Band and the two 56 records, the one with "Fountain Bleu" and the collaboration with Trane.

So I was really lookin forward when I saw "the Magic Touch". Great players indeed, but somehow on some tunes it seems that his newer compositions didn´t have that catchy quality that I liked on his earlier compositions, and I played many of his compositions in my live. And I really miss Tadd himself on piano. Somehow it reminds me of those last two Mingus LPs when Mingus couldn´t play anymore and you miss his strong bass. So I miss Tadd´s piano comping and his short "solos". 

I, too, have always found The Magic Touch disappointing. I think the problem was that by the time it was made (1962) the music had moved on a great deal from the Dameron era.  As befits an early sixties album, it's a hard bop date, not a bop session, as were Tadd's 1940s' recordings and even the 1953 Clifford Brown/Golson/Gryce band. There's a gentleness and lyricism in Tadd's music which wasn't shared by the leading players of the early 60s who made The Magic Touch. Of course, they had their own formidable talents, but they weren't Dameronian. :)