• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I kept upgrading digital versions of this title until I found JVC XRCD LP facsimile versions of this one, "Steamin'" and "Relaxin'" and "Cookin'". . . really like the sound of these and these are what I play when I have to hear this great music.

Miles Davis "Workin'" Prestige/JVC XRCD LP facsimile cd

MTEtNTgxNi5qcGVn.jpeg

14 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I kept upgrading digital versions of this title until I found JVC XRCD LP facsimile versions of this one, "Steamin'" and "Relaxin'" and "Cookin'". . . really like the sound of these and these are what I play when I have to hear this great music.

Miles Davis "Workin'" Prestige/JVC XRCD LP facsimile cd

MTEtNTgxNi5qcGVn.jpeg

I don´t know what XR....and all this means, but Miles Davis Quintet 1956 was THE MUSIC, that made me become a jazz fan and later player almost 50 years ago. Then, only "Steamin´" was available with another cover. But it was spinned always. Pocket money was scarce, so for some month this was my only Jazz LP. That´s why I only knew "Miles, Trane, Garland, Paul, Philly J.J." as musicians and they were my heroes , each of them, like let´s say some Pop singer or actor for teenage girls. Well, I had heard one Mingus tune on a "Sampler" and he soon became my next and even stronger hero. 
Strangely, "Cookin, Relaxin, Workin" were not available then in Europe and it took me years to even know that they exist, until I purchased them. 
Strange, but the very first Quintet album "Miles" never impressed me the same way like those four. On the other hand, when I got "'The Musings of Miles" it fascinated me and I called it the "Pre Birth of the Quintet" because it already had Garland and Philly J.J. on it. 

On 9.9.2022 at 0:29 AM, gmonahan said:

s-l640.jpg

Fantastic. I have them as individual albums, the first I got was the Mating Call, but it had another cover, one of Tadd on piano in the studio, with a red cover and the title "Tadd Dameron with John Coltrane". The album with Fats is fantastic, that´s the great band from Royal Roost 1948, wonderful. Fontainebleau is wonderful but maybe not as strong as "Mating Call". There was another session for Prestige in 1953 but it filled only a half album, the fanstastic stuff with Clifford Brown, the so called "Atlantic City Band". 
The last album "Magic Touch" disappointed me. Some remakes of old tunes, but the new compositions are to "smooth", I like the more tricky things like "Hot House", "Good Bait", "Our Delight" and so on. And the disappointment also was that Dameron himself was no longer playing himself. Bill Evans is not really an adequate replacement. Tadd was during the end of his life and to ill to play a piano. It reminds me of Mingus´"Me myself and I" where he couldn´t longer play the bass himself, and the two replacement basses can´t fit into the role Mingus himself had on bass. That´s what I think about the Magic Touch album, same impression....

2 hours ago, soulpope said:

Chico Freeman had a wonderful tone at that time .... sublime platter ....

Yeah he did. Essentially a ballad album but a very good one :) he will be performing at the Bimhuis coming Sunday performing Coltrane tunes. Curious to see if he still has that tone.

30 minutes ago, Pim said:

Yeah he did. Essentially a ballad album but a very good one :) he will be performing at the Bimhuis coming Sunday performing Coltrane tunes. Curious to see if he still has that tone.

Saw him (before the COVID-19 outbreak) performing "live" with Swiss bassplayer Heiri Känzig .... Chico Freeman still had it, nevertheless the 70`s/early 80`s recording showed him at his peak .... I`m interested about your impresions from the Bimhuis performance ....

28 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Saw him (before the COVID-19 outbreak) performing "live" with Swiss bassplayer Heiri Känzig .... Chico Freeman still had it, nevertheless the 70`s/early 80`s recording showed him at his peak .... I`m interested about your impresions from the Bimhuis performance ....

Great to hear that. Must say I like his India Navigation stuff the most. Indeed the ‘70’s/80’s stuff. With these guys I always feel happy to be able to see them perform live. As a 31 year old, I’ve missed a lot of my idols :(

You’ll here from me ;)

Edited by Pim

Wayne Shorter, Teri Lyne Carrington, Leo Genovese, Esperanza Spalding, Live at the Detroit Jazz Festival (Candid)Live At The Detroit Jazz Festival

5 hours ago, Pim said:

Yes he does.