• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Grant Green "Feelin' the Spirit" Blue Note Japan UHQCD

s-l640.jpg

I love Herbie's playing on this one. And Billy is so interesting here, grooving and testifying.

Yes, Herbie on this, and I remember on another album with Western Tunes like "I´m an old Cowhand" Herbie is also very interresting. 

I think there were some of those featuring different not really jazz linked repertoires, covering Gospel, Country and one with Latin. I think it was to sell them to a larger audience..... but I doubt Grant Green was enough apreciated during his life time. 

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

V/A (Dexter Gordon) – The Other Side Of Round Midnight (Blue Note, 1986)

R-1184006-1284749232.jpg

I've listened to this before, but I'm struck by Wayne Shorter's playing on "Call Sheet Blues". It sounds very Cool influenced. I would not have realised that it was him.

I think I have spinned it twice then in the mid80´s when it came out after the first soundtrack of the legendary film. But if it was done for BN and he was under contract, it´s too pity that they didn´t  put out some live material from the after-film tour of the Round Midnight Allstars, Dexter would have deserved it, even if due to the terrible state of health he had slowed down, but maybe some of it could have been considered for release on BN .

1 hour ago, EKE BBB said:

groovin-high-in-barcelona.jpg

I don´t have this, but "Groovin High" is a fantastic tune and not very often played, and the group is fantastic.  I love it that the first soloist usually switches from Eb the original key to Db and than back to Eb ......, and that beautiful outing in half time with an ending similar to Tadd´s "If you could see me now"....

Lou Donaldson "Sassy Soul Strut" Blue Note Japan cd 2021

Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

I agree with the AllMusic review by Jason Ankeny who stated "Sassy Soul Strut quickly settles comfortably into a light, accessible mode too lively to dismiss as smooth jazz but too mellow to pass as anything else. Butler's arrangements haven't dated particularly well, but the record's too innocuous and good-natured to qualify as an outright failure. It's simply forgettable, nothing more and nothing less."

Flora Purim "Everyday, Everynight" Warner Bros LP.

s-l640.jpg

I bought this when it was a new release and loved it then and still do now. Raulzinho on trombone really delivers!

Acoustic Guitar – Oscar Neves
Bass – Alphonso Johnson, Byron Miller, Jaco Pastorius 
Drums – Airto Moreira, Chester Thompson, Harvey Mason
Electric Piano – George Duke, Herbie Hancock, Michel Colombier
Guitar – Al Ciner, George Sopuch Orchestrated By – Michel Colombier
Percussion – Airto Moreira, Laudir de Oliveira
Piano – David Foster, Herbie Hancock, Michel Colombier 
Producer – Airto Moreira, Bob Monaco
Saxophone – David Sanborn, Michael Brecker  
Synthesizer – Michael Boddicker, Michel Colombier
Trombone – Raul De Souza
Trumpet – Randy Brecker