Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Ibrahim Maalouf "Kalthoum" Impulse cd, "Special Tour Edition" (box with art cards)

OTItMzQyNy5qcGVn.jpeg

Arranged By – Frank Woeste, Ibrahim Maalouf
Double Bass – Larry Grenadier
Drums – Clarence Penn
Piano – Frank Woeste
Saxophone – Mark Turner 
Trumpet – Ibrahim Maalouf

That looks intriguing.  Maalouf has left me behind in the last decade or so, so I may come back to him with this.

11 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Disc 1

411HHwkb-bL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I love it. Charlie Rouse at his best. Some people like other tenor saxophonists with Monk more, but Charlie Rouse is wonderful and my favourite tenor player with Monk or in other surroundings. And Monk is so great here, I learned a lot of things for my own musical understanding from this double CD. And it´s wonderful to hear such extended versions of my favourite Monk live pieces "Bemsha Swing" and "Evidence". If I remember right, they play both "Just You Just Me" and "Evidence" , same chords as you might know. And that rare thing "Bright Missisippi" is very useful, you can do such things spontanously if you want to give something on the changes of "Sweet Georgia Brown". I think I once heard another unissued and incomplete version of "Honeysuckle Rose" also from that gig. Oh yeah and I forgot to mention "I´m gettin´ Sentimental on You" the Tommy Dorsey trademark tune, incredible how Monk does the theme as a solo intro......