Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Milestones said:

I have been checking out Bob Mintzer lately.  I had a thread going on The Hudson Project, which I greatly enjoyed.  This is my first listen of one of his big band albums, and it's a nice effort all the way around.

Primary

:tup:D

At the moment he is the "leading" bandleader for the WDR big band here in Cologne (Germany). The WDR big band is direceted by different personalities during the times  and has no constant leader. One of them in the 1980s was Bill Holman, another one Bill Dobbins.

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

17 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Starting the morning off with a genius live.

Roland Kirk "Live at Ronnie Scott's 1963"

RolandKirk-LiveatRonnieScott_s_London196

Sound is just acceptable. Playing is excellent. Stan Tracey is at the piano, Malcolm Cecil on bass and Ronnie Stephenson on drums.

I saw Roland live at Ronnie's around that time and knew the rhythm section members well. (Sadly all now passed.)

Gigs of course were in the evenings and during his seasons in London Roland liked to spend day time in Dobell's jazz record shop in Charing Cross Road.

He almost stopped the business of the shop, leaning on the counter, blocking the narrow passageway and demanding that record after record be played. Turns out his favourites were by Fats Waller. (I guess that figures when you hear Mingus' "Eat That Chicken" on which he played.) :lol:

13 minutes ago, BillF said:

I saw Roland live at Ronnie's around that time and knew the rhythm section members well. (Sadly all now passed.)

Gigs of course were in the evenings and during his seasons in London Roland liked to spend day time in Dobell's jazz record shop in Charing Cross Road.

He almost stopped the business of the shop, leaning on the counter, blocking the narrow passageway and demanding that record after record be played. Turns out his favourites were by Fats Waller. (I guess that figures when you hear Mingus' "Eat That Chicken" on which he played.) :lol:

Thanks for sharing.

Right now

Re-visiting Hubert Laws "Crying Song" CTI/Beat Goes On cd.

51kifj1ODSL._AC_.jpg

This is a fascinating release. Originally arranged and scored for a Stanley Turrentine date, Hubert Laws was called in as a replacement. And with large stringed and brass orchestration and multi-tracked flute pieces that seem a bit psychedelic . . . it's a treat to listen to. And . . . those song choices. Wild!