Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is this good? I enjoy all the horn players on here, but I don't know the others.

I can see not knowing Nakamura, as he is a relative newcomer, but both Kikoski and Allen have been on a lot of recording dates over the years. Allen has toured as a leader quite a bit too.

This does sound intriguing.

Kikoski can be pretty interesting.

His most interesting playing, imo, is on some Monday Michiru albums, but his other works also show him to be a personal thinker more often that not.

Check him out on this one, where he finds a way to "merge" the techniques of Ahmad Jamal & McCoy Tyner.

Kikoski is on a lot of records, but not as many as some other people. 

David Kikoski - Wikipedia

On the latest Monday album, he plays accordion, which by itself doesn't really mean anything, but it does show that he's not one of these "retro" guys who is going to sit there all of their life and regurgitate until they die. I'm a fan of that, just in principle!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Kikoski is on a lot of records, but not as many as some other people. 

David Kikoski - Wikipedia

On the latest Monday album, he plays accordion, which by itself doesn't really mean anything, but it does show that he's not one of these "retro" guys who is going to sit there all of their life and regurgitate until they die. I'm a fan of that, just in principle!

First aware of Kikoski with the release of

NC03NzEzLmpwZWc.jpeg

49 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

First aware of Kikoski with the release of

NC03NzEzLmpwZWc.jpeg

This is a great record -- one of the best Criss Cross releases. FWIW, I first became aware of both Kikoski and Moore hearing them with Roy Haynes at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago in August 1986, about five months before 623 C Street was recorded. (Ed Howard was the bassist with Haynes' quartet.)

Edited by Mark Stryker

4 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

This is a great record -- one of the best Criss Cross releases. FWIW, I first became aware of both Kikoski and Moore hearing them with Roy Haynes at the Jazz Showcase in Chicago in August 1986, about five months before 623 C Street was recorded. (Ed Howard was the bassist with Haynes' quartet.)

Wow.  I didn't realize that both Kikoski and Howard had worked with Roy so long ago.  I saw Howard with Roy 5 years ago or so; I think it was the gig with Savion Glover joining the band.  Kikoski was on piano the first time I saw Roy in 2009 and what I hope wasn't the last time in 2019.  Every other of the 9 or 10 other times I've seen Roy (other than once with Chick), Martin Bejerano was on piano.

I first saw Yasushi Nakamura with Cleveland trumpeter Dominick Farinacci maybe 12 years ago.  I then saw him with Lew Tabackin this past June.  I knew he had been busy in the years since and he was a strong player fresh out of Juilliard, but he is quite formidable now.  Incidentally, the late Lawrence Leathers was also on that first gig.

Edited by Justin V

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is this good? I enjoy all the horn players on here, but I don't know the others.

Yes, it is very good. Lots of alto and straight ahead be-bop, so it appeals to me a great deal. The rhythm section is perfect for the music. Carl Allen is especially on-target.

There is actually not that much to distinguish the alto players from one another. All very strong players. I listened on i-tunes, so didn't have the liner notes to clearly establish the solo order. I believe (not certain, but fairly sure) that the stereo mix coincides with the photo - Watson, left channel, Herring center; and Bartz, right channel. 

A few things to know about this CD. Stan plays 2 tunes I do not believe have been recorded by him previously. The first is  "Lars Meets Jeff" a very good tune written by Lars Gullin. The other is the lovely "Ballad For Laila"  by the pianist 

Stan is joined by a top level Swedish rhythm section of Lars Sjosten, Piano & Georg Riedel, Bass * Rune Carlsson , drums.

Finally, the entire quartet is in very good form and play well throughout.

51vuO9V9SuL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Edited by Peter Friedman

27 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

Yes, it is very good. Lots of alto and straight ahead be-bop, so it appeals to me a great deal. The rhythm section is perfect for the music. Carl Allen is especially on-target.

There is actually not that much to distinguish the alto players from one another. All very strong players. I listened on i-tunes, so didn't have the liner notes to clearly establish the solo order. I believe (not certain, but fairly sure) that the stereo mix coincides with the photo - Watson, left channel, Herring center; and Bartz, right channel. 

Thanks.

21 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I thought that might be the case, glad you enjoyed it so much. Maybe they'll record, I hope so. @Alexander Hawkinswhat say you?

I saw her there solo and with Mark Sanders a few years back and it was sensational.

It should have been a trio with Joelle Leandre who cancelled.  The audience that night was embarrassingly small, perhaps because of Leandre's non appearance

The gigs were a total joy...and super excited to have the chance to play again with Nicole at the end of the month - this time playing compositions, and in a sextet, so hugely looking forward to it also for this different perspective. She's an absolute magician!