Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dexter Gordon -- Live at Carnegie Hall

Very good late Dexter (1977 IIRC) -- very well recorded and the Cables, Reid, Gladden rhythm section has the pots on. On one of the two tenor battle tracks with Johnny Griffin ("Blues Up and Down") I give it to Griffin on points -- he's really inspired. 

3 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Dexter Gordon -- Live at Carnegie Hall

Very good late Dexter (1977 IIRC) -- very well recorded and the Cables, Reid, Gladden rhythm section has the pots on. On one of the two tenor battle tracks with Johnny Griffin ("Blues Up and Down") I give it to Griffin on points -- he's really inspired. 

It was two tunes with Griff: "Blues Up and Down" and "Cheesecake". But I have it on the CBS album "Great Encounters" . 

8 hours ago, BillF said:

:tup                                                         :tup                                                        :tup

8 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

The Art Farmer Septet.jpg Our Man in Paris.jpg Out of the Cool.jpg

The "Our Man in Paris" is one of my favourite regathering of Bop Veterans, with first generation boppers Dex, Bud and Klook. The really cook, I like the louder drumming of Klook and Bud has one of his greatest moments from his time in Paris (always if he could play with fellow Americans , the others could be "Hawk in Germany" , "Blakey in Paris".....) 

MC02ODk4LmpwZWc.jpeg

I saw the 180 proof reissue in the bins yesterday. Passed on it but listening to the only track I can find streaming "Inside Ourselves". Good stuff. SQ on the LP reissue is supposed to be not great, but it may be the only reasonable way to hear this album unless the Japanese CD is that much better. Anyway, the title track is a nice morning tune. 

NS01NTczLmpwZWc.jpeg

Walter Zuber Armstrong's Alpha & Omega - Live from 1973 at Western Washington State College now Western Washington U in Bellingham, WA. Strong Pacific vibes on this one. I don't know much at all about the band: Dan O'Brien on bass, Michael-Ann Burnett - cello, Bill Grauss - drums, Martin Lund - piano with Mr. Armstrong turning in duties on bass clarinet, flute, alto & piccolo flute & percussion. Excellent album. Looks like it's never been reissued as it was on his own World Artists label. Armstrong passed in 1998. 

Grateful Dead, 'Madison Square Garden 9/21/82" from "In and out of the Garden, 1981, 1982, 1983" disc 1

unnamed_1019.jpg?itok=BGHZLb3f

I started off listening to this disc again.

Now, almost through this one. George Benson, "The Other Side of Abbey Road," A&M/Universal Japan SHM-CD 2022.

MI0000495889.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Sometimes listening to this box set can be a real slog because of the many alternates back to back. But. . .it's great music, in great remastering of interesting original recordings.

"The Complete Vee Jay Lee Morgan-Wayne Shorter Studio Sessions" disc IV

MI0002187576.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

007a6464.jpg

Edited by jazzbo