Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I just noticed this (also a Gary Smulyan) on Dusty Groove, but the label is credited as Stateside, not SteepleChase.  I wonder if there's a change in label ownership.

Stateside is a US distributor for SteepleChase -- and other European labels like Red -- based in Myrtle Beach, SC.

So I would guess that Dusty Groove probably got their wires crossed when they made the entry.  The order was likely from Stateside, but it's a SteepleChase disc.

Edited by HutchFan

On 26.10.2022 at 8:46 AM, BillF said:

mating-call-tadd-dameron.jpg

I love it. I bought it among my first batch of LPs when I got some money from my father for good high school when I was a teenager. I was mostly lookin for the few musicians I knew (Miles, Trane, Mingus) and since it had also Philly J.J on drums, I bought it. I had heard some Dameron with Miles before. 
In my case it was a red album cover with a large black white photo of Dameron at the piano, and it was titled "Tadd Dameron with John Coltrane". 
"On a Misty Night" is a very nice tune, I heard Pharoah Sanders doing it live. 

1 hour ago, BillF said:

:tup

Now playing:

99428971-c876-48c0-ac0b-ab2454f1a2b7.jpe

I think this was my first album under his name, but after having heard him for the first time on the "Night At Birdland" with Blakey, Fats, Bird etc. I was a bit disappointed since the solos on the live sides with Bird and Co seemed to be more exiting to me. 
When I saw the cover and that Ray Brown and Max Roach are on it, I was a bit disappointed that you almost can´t hear them. But Norman Granz seemed to have his own ideas how a trio setting must sound.....