• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Forgotten great big band??

43843165eb.jpg

i like Florence's writing, though my friend Bill Kirchner finds it very white bread. I see what he means, but I still like it. And it's a very good group of players. I'm especially fond of "Magic Time." Nick Ceroli was a fine drummer.

8 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

i like Florence's writing, though my friend Bill Kirchner finds it very white bread. I see what he means, but I still like it. And it's a very good group of players. I'm especially fond of "Magic Time." Nick Ceroli was a fine drummer.

I was quite surprised to see that Florence's writing was being used in a lot of those WorldPacificJazz poppish-jazzy records from the middle 1960s. And also in Buddy Rich's first few records of his 1960s band.

The guy certainly earned the right to his perspective.

36 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I was quite surprised to see that Florence's writing was being used in a lot of those WorldPacificJazz poppish-jazzy records from the middle 1960s. And also in Buddy Rich's first few records of his 1960s band.

He also arranged some of Martin Denny's "ghost" LPs from the 1960s.  

3 hours ago, BillF said:

Humair is the only one I've seen - in Phil Woods' European Rhythm Machine.

Daniel Humair was November 7, 2009 with the late Jens Winther (tp) from Denmark at the Göttingen Jazz Festival. After the gig he met his friend, the Pop Art artist Jim Dine, who was also in Göttingen at that time.

44604077xx.jpg

51 minutes ago, JSngry said:

His writing for sax soli always caught my ear. He was Julie Andrews' music director and did an album with her and his band called "Jewels" where she served as a wordless vocalist sort of ala Johnny Hodges.

5 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

There are also some nice recordings with european orchestras. He was  2 times in Germany to play with the HR big band (Frankfurt) and with the SWR big Band. Very good also his collaboration with the Norwegian Radio big band.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

He was also member of the Mike Vax  "Kenton Ghost band" (later renamed) touring the US.

Edited by jazzcorner

10 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

When I first bought this on LP long long ago when first released, I just considered it ok.  

Over time I have come to like it a great deal. It is now one of my favorites by Jackie.

th-1742788414.jpeg

It´s a wonderful album. I think I love Jackie McLean´s sound most, from all alto saxophonists, maybe there are other listeners who like other altoists more, those who have a more mellow sound, but for me McLean is the ultimative sound for my tastes. 

Sure I´m listening more to things like "Let Freedom Ring" or "One Step Beyond" , but this little standard record is so fine and has such a good rhythm section. And I think there are not many musicians who play "Let´s Face the Music and Dance". 

If I remember right, it has Walter Bishop on piano. I think I listened to it mostly together with Dizzy Reece´s "Sounding Off" which is another very fine record of standards also with Walter Bishop. 
I must look where I have them, maybe when the evenings will be longer or I got some time off, I´d spin it again, but I fear the list of records I´d like to re-listen is dozens of times longer than what really will materialize.....