Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Absolutely. Then after ‘Troppo’ it went pretty quiet on the recording front until about 1980 and ‘You’ve Changed’ with Don Weller on the Hep label. Fortunately after about 1990 he did get to record more often but largely for his own label. In the ‘quiet’ period I do recall listening to occasional (annual?) late night broadcasts on BBC by his Sextet though. Wish I’d recorded them !

You and me both! ;)

I wonder if any of Garrick's recordings are still in the archives, the BBC's or otherwise.  (I know a few have been released, but they're mostly from the 60s rather than the 70s and beyond.)

5 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

You and me both! ;)

I wonder if any of Garrick's recordings are still in the archives, the BBC's or otherwise.  (I know a few have been released, but they're mostly from the 60s rather than the 70s and beyond.)

Not sure. I guess that if they exist, ‘Jazz In Britain’ might be able to put them out - subject to approval of the Garrick Estate. The recent R&B Records from the 60s was an interesting one, well worth checking out.

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Just found this on discogs:  A Don Rendell Sextet recording, recorded just before Garrick departed in October 1970.

https://britishprogressivejazz.com/album/the-odysseus-suite

Have you heard this, @sidewinder ?  Looks like it just came out last month.

You can check it out on ‘Jazz In Britain’s’ Bandcamp site. Yes, although short it is a real find.

On my (ever increasing) list of stuff to get. 😶

23 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is this a comp?

Yes.  I'm usually not a listener who gravitates towards compilations -- but this one is AMAZING.  I like it better than any of Barretto's individual Fania records.  I suppose that's because it compiles the most jazz-oriented cuts off his records that are (for the most part) Salsa albums.

This Barretto compilation sort of reminds me of Eddie Palmieri's Exploration: Salsa-Jazz-Descarga, another compilation that focuses on the jammy/improvisational side of the Salsa-to-Jazz spectrum.  (Although I think Palmieri's Coco stuff is/was a bit more inherently "jazzy" than Barretto's Fania output.  Regardless, you get the idea; both compilations focus on the "Latin" and "Jazz" Venn diagram overlap.)

Edited by HutchFan