• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

MTgtNDMyNi5qcGVn.jpeg

EDIT: Just finished listening to this. Oh man, I'd forgotten how good it is. The album's closing track, "Rain" by Geri Allen, is so delicate and beautiful.  Three masters at work.

All three are gone now.  But Allen had only just turned 60 when she passed.  That's too young.

👍 ... also on my shelf! Now I listen to them recorded live:

Geri Allen +.jpg

13 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-1299328244.jpeg

It´s a must for bop lovers. 

Diz and Bird in top form and during the time they really worked together. The later Bird´n Diz reunion on Verve was a slight disappointment, it didn´t have the fire of this live date, even with Monk on piano. 

But I also observed, that Al Haig on this date still was a beginner, he became an excellent bop pianist from 1948 on, as the "Bird at Roost" sessions and the recording sessions with Wardell Gray and Fats Navarro proove, but in 1945 he still sounded very "stiff". But this is a natural developement. When I started, it sounded similar, it took some years to get the feeling to make things "flow in a natural manner" like it does when Diz and Bird play or Bud did play.....

13 hours ago, BillF said:

👍

👍

👍

Now playing:

Mingus_(Charles_Mingus_album).jpg

I once saw that cover, it might be possible I have that session since my wife once bought me a Mingus CD called "Newport Rebels" and I was astonished that besides some tracks featuring old masters like Eldrige and Jo Jones, it also had more stuff like a pianoless quintet with Dolphy and so on. I must listen to it again when the quiet winter days will come and I can find time to listen to records else then just checking out things.....

Capuchin_Swing.jpg

6 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

It´s a must for bop lovers. 

Diz and Bird in top form and during the time they really worked together. The later Bird´n Diz reunion on Verve was a slight disappointment, it didn´t have the fire of this live date, even with Monk on piano. 

But I also observed, that Al Haig on this date still was a beginner, he became an excellent bop pianist from 1948 on, as the "Bird at Roost" sessions and the recording sessions with Wardell Gray and Fats Navarro proove, but in 1945 he still sounded very "stiff". But this is a natural developement. When I started, it sounded similar, it took some years to get the feeling to make things "flow in a natural manner" like it does when Diz and Bird play or Bud did play.....

I once saw that cover, it might be possible I have that session since my wife once bought me a Mingus CD called "Newport Rebels" and I was astonished that besides some tracks featuring old masters like Eldrige and Jo Jones, it also had more stuff like a pianoless quintet with Dolphy and so on. I must listen to it again when the quiet winter days will come and I can find time to listen to records else then just checking out things.....

Yes, Newport Rebels is a great one!

large_550_tmp_2F1563828706941-vdhb075bp9