• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NzgtNTU3OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Hampton Hawes - Blues for Bud (Black Lion)
with Jimmy Woode (b) and Arthur Taylor (d)

Recorded in 1968 in Paris; originally released in 1971 as Spanish Steps

Thanks to @soulpope for hipping me to this terrific album several years ago. 

Glad you like it .... for me as Piano Trio aficionado this is a desert island platter ....

17 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

Swing, Swang, Swingin'.jpg

From all the more traditional recordings McLean made before "One Step Beyond" this is my favourite. Nowadays  I rarely listen to the dozens of Prestige sessions he did but this one is my idea of a perfectly done Standardtunes-Album with a perfect rhythm-section. And dig "Let´s face the music and dance", that´s a very very old tune I think from the late 20´s or early 30´s but very interesting chords. 
It´s interesting that Walter Bishop, who was quite obscure after the time with Bird, did some sessions around 1960 as a sideman for BN, the others I think was the "Cappuccino-Swing" that @BillF mentioned, and the wonderful Dizzy Reece album. 

And Jimmy Garrison on bass was also was a quite rare guest on BN. 

11 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Primary

If I remember right, there was also a Clifford Brown "Memorial Album" on Prestige. This one is very fine and I think it was done before Brownie became really famous. Is this the one with Lou Donaldson on as ? The lineup for the Blakey live date at Birdland ? Anyway, I have it somewhere, I think it is one of Brownies earlier records before the Roach-Brown Unit. 

2 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Haven't played this in a while. My bad.

Life_Time_(Tony_Williams_album).jpg

Oh yeah. It is interesting, that all sidemen of Miles Davis´ so called "Second Quintet" recorded for BN. This one is astonishing for a just 18 year old boy. He must have been very very adult for his age to make such a highly intellectual album. Wonderful music.  It shows another side of Tony , the composer side. 

Anyway, Tony always has been one of my favourite drummers. 

10 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-3656516038.jpeg

oh fine, a lot of old BN stuff around here now. 
Maybe this one was the best showcase for Mr.Chambers, though maybe lesser known than "Whims of Chambers". I had "Whims" mostly for Trane and Philly J.J. and I think I saw this "Quintet" only as a BN-Conn. The third album without horns is the most obscure one. I don´t think it sold that well. 

Just the B side of this Pacific Jazz LP

44699217xq.jpg

44699218as.jpg

45 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

If I remember right, there was also a Clifford Brown "Memorial Album" on Prestige. This one is very fine and I think it was done before Brownie became really famous. Is this the one with Lou Donaldson on as ? The lineup for the Blakey live date at Birdland ? Anyway, I have it somewhere, I think it is one of Brownies earlier records before the Roach-Brown Unit. 

Was it this ione?

44699251pk.jpg

44699252xf.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

11 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Just the B side of this Pacific Jazz LP

44699217xq.jpg

44699218as.jpg

44699251pk.jpg

44699252xf.jpg

Yeah that´s the one. Interesting that it is also titled "Memorial Album". I think I bought the Prestige mostly for the Side B with the Dameron organisation, the legendary "Atlantic City Band". I think those tunes were lesser known, at least from the musicians point of view. We would do quite a few Dameron compositions like Hot House, Good  Bait, Our Delight, If you could see me know and so on, I mean the tunes that are performed in general until knowadays, but the tunes from the here mentioned sessions I think I only had heard by Philly J.J.´ "Dameronia"-Band.