Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

bresna, it's music from Ellington's "stockpile"; it wasn't originally recorded for Columbia. I can't speak for others, but I regard it very highly. If you love EKE's music, I'd say it's essential:tup

Incorrect. It was recorded for Columbia and produced by Irving Townsend on July 14, 1960.

I have a Columbia lp from 1979.

Nice record.

How in hell does this wrong info get spread.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

11 hours ago, soulpope said:

How did you rate it back then .... and now .... ?

We noticed a sharper, more "presentational" sound than we'd heard with Riverside - a step in the direction of Blue Note, though not so much, of course. (We were very critical of Blue Note at the time that their now classic albums were coming out. People used to say "They all sound the same.")

In more recent times both Riverside and Columbia Monks had a prize place in my record collection.

10 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Ni04NTQ4LmpwZWc.jpeg

👍

10 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

88 Basie Street

👍

50 minutes ago, BillF said:

We noticed a sharper, more "presentational" sound than we'd heard with Riverside - a step in the direction of Blue Note, though not so much, of course. (We were very critical of Blue Note at the time that their now classic albums were coming out. People used to say "They all sound the same.")

In more recent times both Riverside and Columbia Monks had a prize place in my record collection.

Thnx for sharing ....

It didn´t happen often this year that I posted what I listened to, since the most listening was live, but since some of my best music colleages and I dare to say almost friends played "Chick´s Tune" I must say I loved that line and anyway the song structure and form is easy since it´s based on "You Stepped Out of a Dream". I had asked them during intermission what it was and they told me the name of the tune, so I googled and found it on that Blue Mitchell album. 

I somehow reminded I had bought this once with some batch of RVG´s without paying much attention, so I revisited it and oh yeah, wonderful:

The first tune is some party mood, very danceable stuff on rhythm changes in F . 

There also is a slow blues composed by Joe Henderson, who didn´t play on that session. 

The musicians just great. I don´t remember I had heard Blue Mitchell else than in the context with Horace Silver. Junior Cook sure was underrated, he really can play and never disappointed me. The bass player is a bit subdued.....
Chick Corea is superb here. Sometimes he got shades of Monk in his solos, sometimes you hear a bit of Bud, but you also hear lines that later developed to what he started with Miles . Such a great musician. 

And my all time favourite Al Foster, I love him, I love everything he did. A fanstastic drummer. 

And then "Chick´s Tune" the reason why I listened to this record. I have it in my head all the time, anyway I love to improvise on "You Stepped out of a Dream" it´s tricky changes but it flows so easily.... 

Herunterladen.jpg

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

It didn´t happen often this year that I posted what I listened to, since the most listening was live, but since some of my best music colleages and I dare to say almost friends played "Chick´s Tune" I must say I loved that line and anyway the song structure and form is easy since it´s based on "You Stepped Out of a Dream". I had asked them during intermission what it was and they told me the name of the tune, so I googled and found it on that Blue Mitchell album. 

I somehow reminded I had bought this once with some batch of RVG´s without paying much attention, so I revisited it and oh yeah, wonderful:

The first tune is some party mood, very danceable stuff on rhythm changes in F . 

There also is a slow blues composed by Joe Henderson, who didn´t play on that session. 

The musicians just great. I don´t remember I had heard Blue Mitchell else than in the context with Horace Silver. Junior Cook sure was underrated, he really can play and never disappointed me. The bass player is a bit subdued.....
Chick Corea is superb here. Sometimes he got shades of Monk in his solos, sometimes you hear a bit of Bud, but you also hear lines that later developed to what he started with Miles . Such a great musician. 

And my all time favourite Al Foster, I love him, I love everything he did. A fanstastic drummer. 

And then "Chick´s Tune" the reason why I listened to this record. I have it in my head all the time, anyway I love to improvise on "You Stepped out of a Dream" it´s tricky changes but it flows so easily.... 

Herunterladen.jpg

I agree. "Chick's Tune" is a winner! 👍

4 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Monk - Solo Monk | Releases | Discogs

👍

20 hours ago, mikeweil said:

NS01OTc2LmpwZWc.jpeg

👍

Jackie & Roy “Full Circle” Contemporary cd

51d72334141af36740263bc59d6002836e6de2cc

Baritone Saxophone – Bill Perkins
Bass – Monty Budwig
Drums – Jeff Hamilton
Piano, Vocals, Arranged By – Roy Kral
Tenor Saxophone – Bob Cooper
Trombone – Bill Watrous
Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Conte Candoli
Vocals – Jackie Cain

5 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Pee Wee Russell And Henry Red Allen - The College Concert Of Pee Wee Russell  And Henry Red Allen | Releases | Discogs

Man, how I love these two guys... either playing within his 'pre-defined' repertory or in a different and more 'advanced' context. And if you'd have to name a player you would recognize after listening to just a couple of bars, that would be Pee Wee Russell.

I love this record. IIRC the rest of the concert was recorded but it's never been released.  And I believe  this Lp has never been on cd.

Louis Armstrong “The Uncollected Singles 1955-1961” Jasmine Records cd

favicon.ico?1589043303Jasmine Records louis-armstrong-the-uncollected-singles-1955-1961.jpg

Louis ARMSTRONG - The Uncollected Singles, 1955-1961

Louis Armstrong had one of the longest recording careers of any artist of the 20th Century. Whilst parts of his career are well represented digitally, his singles from the mid-1950s to the early '60s are often overlooked, mainly because they were...

Price: GBP 8.99

louis-armstrong-the-uncollected-singles-

Wow. This is a great sounding disc of Armstrong sides.