Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I don't know Fresu's work as a leader either -- but I love his playing with Aldo Romano's quartet. Specifically: 
- Ritual (Owl, 1988)
- To Be Ornette to Be (Owl, 1989)
- Dreams & Waters (Owl, 1991)

My absolute favorite Romano CD with Fresu on it is "Canzoni" (Enja). Romano leads the quartet through a set of Italian ballads, with Fresu playing all of them with a Harmon mute. Beautiful playing by all and a CD that I often spin at while eating dinner.

Canzoni - Album by Aldo Romano Quartet | Spotify

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Prompted by the @bresna post above re: Paolo Fresu:

NC02ODU2LmpwZWc.jpeg

Aldo Romano - Ritual (Owl, 1988)
with Franco D'Andrea, Paolo Fresu, and Furio DiCastri

I thought I had this one in the racks but I'm not finding it on my work PC's hard drive so I either forgot to rip this one or I didn't get it after all.

Edited by bresna

All this Paolo Fresu talk got me to pull up this one next.

Cosmo Intini Jazz Set - My Favorite Roots (Timeless). Bartz plays well here too. All in all, this turned out to be one of those, "Hmm... the band looks interesting... I wonder what this is" that led to, "Yeah, this was a good pick up". :)

About the only negative here is that I am not a fan of the bass sound. It's almost annoying at times. Discogs says it was recorded in 1990, but it sounds more like a 1980 bass sound.

Primary

NzctNjgxNC5qcGVn.jpeg

2 hours ago, bresna said:

My absolute favorite Romano CD with Fresu on it is "Canzoni" (Enja). Romano leads the quartet through a set of Italian ballads, with Fresu playing all of them with a Harmon mute. Beautiful playing by all and a CD that I often spin at while eating dinner.

I'm not familiar with that one.  Thanks for the heads-up!  :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

5 hours ago, bresna said:

Paolo Fresu - Incantamento (Plays the music of Tino Tracanna) (Blue Note Italy). Part of a 5 CD series of sessions Fresu did with his quintet with each disc featuring original compositions from each member of the band. This is Tino Tracanna's disc. This is great jazz. All 5 of these CDs are well worth hearing.

FRESU QUINTET,PAOLO - Incantamento - Amazon.com Music

Just listened to this, and it’s a cracker. Phoar!

13 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Pharoah Sanders “Welcome to Love” Complete Edition, Timeless/Solid Records Japan

Continuing the mellow music for today.

It´s a wonderful album, I love it. Like all great tenor saxophonists, Pharoah was a great ballad player. When I heard him for the first time live in the early 80´s he also featured a ballad. If I remember right, on this one is also "I want to talk about you", the Billy Eckstine tune that Trane also recorded . 

Much later my wife bought me the Max Bollemann-Book (the sound engeneer form Timeless records) and I was surprised what horrible story was about the surroundings  when this record was made......

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Antonio Carlos Jobim “Songbook Instrumentals” 2 cd set

I’ve been looking for a reasonably priced copy of this for some time (I have a CDR copy) and finally did at Dusty Groove. Great set for Jobim fans.

c92f7abeb9841bac2d206c0412ff129a2acda3c0

This is streaming here: https://immub.org/album/songbook-instrumental-antonio-carlos-jobim

Seems rather "smooth Jazz" to my ears. Not bad at all, but certainly not something I would play too often or pay big bucks to acquire. This is selling for over $200 on Amazon.

Edited by bresna

44 minutes ago, bresna said:

This is streaming here: https://immub.org/album/songbook-instrumental-antonio-carlos-jobim

Seems rather "smooth Jazz" to my ears. Not bad at all, but certainly not something I would play too often or pay big bucks to acquire. This is selling for over $200 on Amazon.

I just love Jobim and find different interpretations very intriguing. I have the entire Songbook series and really appreciate the five discs; play them often enough to merit having them. This one eluded me, I had a cdr copy from an absent member, but found a barely used copy of this 2 cd set at dustygroove this week for 19 dollars. Quite happy. I don't stream; never has sounded as good to me without real re-investment, I'm not going to do that.

Right now

Joel Ross is one of the new artists in jazz I have been following with great interest.

Joel Ross "The Parable of the Poet" Blue Note cd

00602438918171-cover-zoom.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

OTktMjMyMC5qcGVn.jpeg

Slide Hampton Quintet featuring Clifford Jordan - Roots (Criss Cross, 1985)

1 minute ago, jazzbo said:

Jackie & Roy “Spring Can Really Hang You up the Most” Black Lion cd

I am really enjoying revisiting Jackie & Roy. This one is notable as it has Barney Kessell on board for a few.

[IMG]

They're terrific.

I went bananas for J&R this year, bought about a dozen of their albums.  And I've enjoyed every single one. ;)