So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

28 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

Primary

I think I have this somewhere, this might have been very very long ago, it was that short lived label from Bruce Lundvall. 

As much I can remember it would be some of the best Bud Powell live ever, but something was with the soundquality I mean I´m no audiophile but I think I didn´t hear Mingus´bass and it was too sharp or too much treble, so it was a pain in the ear. 

But from the playing it was about the best tunes and best solos he played. And above all because it was a dream team with Mingus and Roy Haynes, If I remember right there are some really fast tunes on it like "Salt Peanuts" "Little Willie Leaps" and a fantastic version of "Woody´n You" if it is that record. 

But I listen very seldom to albums without horns. Massey Hall I know too well to hear something new, but maybe I might make an exception to spin this one at some point, if I can catch something I had missed. 

13 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

Primary

It was a favourite of mine when I bought anything that had one or two members of the original Miles quintet, since one LP with the original Miles was my first jazz listening and like maybe Beatles fans might see each member of the band as their idols, in my case it was besides Miles the other players of that first quintet. 
And I already had dug some of Tadd Dameron´s stuff. 
This I think is the last real Tadd Dameron album. "In a Misty Night" became something like a "mini hit", a catchy tune, many fellow musicians like it and at least I heard it played live by Pharoah Sanders.....

16 minutes ago, BillF said:

Now playing:

cover-92.jpg

👍

I think I had it on a Double LP of Miles that had "Round Midnight" on the first LP. It´s a good album with a wonderful version of the title tune, I think there is one walking blues on it and one stuff similar to the Flamenco thing on KOB. But in general this was more a transition period for Miles, it took 2 more years to have Tony Williams, my favourite drummer. 

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Listening to something very familiar as I made a change to the DAC–added a specially designed plug for the USB input that has removed another veil of noise. It’s amazing how “noise”–so much more in our environment than decades ago–is something that when incrementally removed creates sonic improvement. And it seems there is always more noise to be eliminated.

Miles Davis “Sorcerer” Mobile Fidelity SACD

9adb34ae9ed77318100bac05819f57f096ed5876

Joe Lovano / Greg Osby "Friendly Fire" Blue Note cd

Haven't played this one in a few years, and whenever I revisit something after that long I notice how much better it sounds because the system sounds so good now.

What a band. I forgot how good Cameron Brown can be on bass, and Jason Moran and Idris Muhammed bring a lot.

joe-lovano-greg-osby-blue-note.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

15 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Joe Lovano / Greg Osby "Friendly Fire" Blue Note cd

Haven't played this one in a few years, and whenever I revisit something after that long I notice how much better it sounds because the system sounds so good now.

What a band. I forgot how good Cameron Brown can be on bass, and Jason Moran and Idris Muhammed bring a lot.

joe-lovano-greg-osby-blue-note.jpg

👍 ... hardbop at it´s best!

14 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh yes, than it is the best of all, though it´s hard for me to choose. The "Tempest at Colosseum" is also top and was my favourite until I discovered "Under the Sky".  On the other hand, the studio album from the same time as "Under The Sky" is a lame duck for me. 

By the way: You should also get Sonny Rollins "Under the Sky", it´s incredible !!!!

This was my first Art Tatum album in the 70´s, it had another cover but I like it even more than the Verves. The "Begin the Beguine" is outa sight ! 

Oh yes wonderful, the rhythm section is tops, the album is very fine, though I alsways found that J.R.Monterose has a bit a strange way of phrasing. I´m no collector, but I think I have another one where he plays with Kenny Dorham. 

For a short while in the '50s JR's abrupt, hocket-like way of phrasing was known as "the Peck." Shafi Hadi/Curtis Porter was another player who was so inclined. The Peck was more commonly used by horns in ensemble passages, e.g. by Donald Byrd and Jackie McLean with George Wallington. IIRC JR's use of The Peck was rather short-lived.