• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, optatio said:

Inspired by BillF this morning I have listened to

Monterose.jpg

God I love this album so much. I'm going to go listen right now. To answer my own post from the other day... this is my super band, and they DO live up to the hype.

Silver, Ware and Jones is an unbeatable combination imo. J.R and Ira could be stone-deaf and this would still sound great, luckily they are far from it! 😁

51Zy2+FkZVS._SX600_.jpg

Manfred Schoof Quintet - Resonance (ECM, 2 CDs)

Compiles three JAPO albums: 
- Scales (1976), 
- Light Lines (1978), and 
- Horizons (1980, less two cuts)

with Manfred Schoof (tr, flg-h); Michel Pliz (b-cl); Jasper Van 't Hof (p, el-p, org); Rainer Brüninghaus (p, synth); Günter Lenz (b); Ralf Hübner (d)

14 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh yes, than it is the best of all, though it´s hard for me to choose. The "Tempest at Colosseum" is also top and was my favourite until I discovered "Under the Sky".  On the other hand, the studio album from the same time as "Under The Sky" is a lame duck for me. 

By the way: You should also get Sonny Rollins "Under the Sky", it´s incredible !!!!

This was my first Art Tatum album in the 70´s, it had another cover but I like it even more than the Verves. The "Begin the Beguine" is outa sight ! 

Oh yes wonderful, the rhythm section is tops, the album is very fine, though I alsways found that J.R.Monterose has a bit a strange way of phrasing. I´m no collector, but I think I have another one where he plays with Kenny Dorham. 

Kenny Dorham and the Jazz Prophets (ABC-Paramount)

Mi0zNzA1LmpwZWc.jpegSecondary, 2 of 3

On 11/19/2022 at 3:59 PM, jazzcorner said:

Have read similar Informations in the same context with a band Mike Vax' was and still is  leading which has also to changed the bands name somewhat  but has still Kentons name as part in it --->  "The Stan Kenton Alumni Band".

I think the story Bill tells is true. But that was not long after Kenton died. Thirty plus years later, Kenton's estate no longer has any interest in legal action or pursuing the provisions of his will. In fact, I understand that his surviving children have given their approval to Vax's efforts. 

Edited by John Tapscott

Now listening to Arild Andersen's Green Shading Into Blue (ECM, 1978), as heard on this set:

41uD3DlNHhL._SY580_.jpg

with:
- Arild Andersen - bass
- Juhani Aaltonen - tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone, flute
- Lars Jansson - piano, synthesizer
- Pål Thowsen - drums, percussion

More top-shelf Euro-jazz from the 1970s.  :) 

Edited by HutchFan

12 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

For a short while in the '50s JR's abrupt, hocket-like way of phrasing was known as "the Peck." Shafi Hadi/Curtis Porter was another player who was so inclined. The Peck was more commonly used by horns in ensemble passages, e.g. by Donald Byrd and Jackie McLean with George Wallington. IIRC JR's use of The Peck was rather short-lived.

Thank you for that info. I didn´t know that. I can follow that it is used in ensemble passages, but soloing it really sounds strange. 

Anyway, the two non typical BN-Artists on recordings, (Mellé and Montrose) somehow sound a bit "funny" to me, it sounds a bit "colder" than I´d say Mobley, Rollins, Trane, Griffin and all the others from the same period 1956 sounded. 

Primary

I very much prefer to listen to Pres on Verve via individual discs, to savour them as they well deserve. Rather than going with the large 'Complete Verve Recordings' box. Probably due to the fact that, as the years go by, I tend to prefer to listen to discs as they were issued, avoiding the dozens of alternative takes, rehearsals and the likes. Just for my listening pleasure; I leave the chorus-by-chorus analysis for the experts... :)

Edited by EKE BBB

Anthony Braxton - Echo Echo Mirror House (Victo, 2013)victo_125.jpg.1fdd1bc528cef6155323fa86fc1184c9.jpg

So dense, but some very good moments. My first listen but will certainly not be my last.

51 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

Primary

I very much prefer to listen to Pres on Verve via individual discs, to savour them as they well deserve. Rather than going with the large 'Complete Verve Recordings' box. Probably due to the fact that, as the years go by, I tend to prefer to listen to discs as they were issued, avoiding the dozens of alternative takes, rehearsals and the likes. Just for my listening pleasure; I leave the chorus-by-chorus analysis for the experts... :)

I really agree with this. I find a box set to be a real turn off, and really like to here the original records, as (the producer) intended, and with the shorter and more digestible playing time.

Also, what an excellent record this is.

13 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Mi0zNzA1LmpwZWc.jpegSecondary, 2 of 3

I think the story Bill tells is true. But that was not long after Kenton died. Thirty plus years later, Kenton's estate no longer has any interest in legal action or pursuing the provisions of his will. In fact, I understand that his surviving children have given their approval to Vax's efforts. 

😁👍

+ Some more from Russo

44718939sp.jpg

44718938mj.jpg

44718963cb.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
more pics