• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Impulsively Ellington, a nicely-done Ellington Impulse tribute compilation put together in 1999 for his centennial. Came across a cheap used copy at my local record store this afternoon and picked it up, partly for the handful of tracks I didn’t already have, and partly because I’ve grown to really enjoy well-curated anthologies like this one:

41C1Y9GB07L._SY580_.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

10 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Cover makes no sense at all. This trio has Piano, Guitar and bass, no Harp whatsoever.

th-3397112126.jpeg

Is it good? Venus is an interesting label but with an uneven output.

Now playing:

Solomon Ilori And His Afro-Drum Ensemble – African High Life

African_High_Life.jpg.1d25a739577581d8e4ba763f0f915ecc.jpg

Not a great record, but it is still interesting for the way some tracks, particularly the more "jazz" tracks, prefigure the more recent London scene with their mix of West African-derived jazz rhythms and dance-minded saxophone solos.

Tyshawn Sorey Trio +1 With Greg Osby – The Off-Off Broadway Guide To Synergism (Pi, 2022)

R-25047313-1667555145-5629.jpg.cd004b9b05e0541557618a13d2216523.jpg

Just listening to the taster on Spotify at the moment, but I find this a little disappointing.

Sorey is wonderful, but the record breathes the same sort of close air as some of the 00s Motian releases, but without the strength of ideas that Lovano and Frisell brought. I find Aaron Diehl particularly disappointing but Osby not far behind. I would be interested in finding out other members' views, particularly those who've heard the full set.

7 hours ago, optatio said:

👍

Rouse.jpg

Must be very interesting. Rouse is one of my favourite. 
It would be fine to hear this. Especially for hearing Monk´s music in a maybe more modern context where you hear the instruments, especially the drums and also the bass better than on the original BN record. 

The original BN-Monk records have such a terrible sound quality, I didn´t know that in the late 40´s right sound recording still was so low standard. It sounded like in a haze, and like you put a mike in front of an old gramofon and re-record it on audio caseta. 

I like to play Monk tunes my self and Epistrophy is a favourite of mine. It´s such a fine and logic construction of that tune. 

This was really Charlie Rouse´ last concert. I didn´t know he died so early, he really looks fine and healthy on that cover. 

8 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Tyshawn Sorey Trio +1 With Greg Osby – The Off-Off Broadway Guide To Synergism (Pi, 2022)

R-25047313-1667555145-5629.jpg.cd004b9b05e0541557618a13d2216523.jpg

Just listening to the taster on Spotify at the moment, but I find this a little disappointing.

Sorey is wonderful, but the record breathes the same sort of close air as some of the 00s Motian releases, but without the strength of ideas that Lovano and Frisell brought. I find Aaron Diehl particularly disappointing but Osby not far behind. I would be interested in finding out other members' views, particularly those who've heard the full set.

I like it (the whole thing) more than you do.

On 11/18/2022 at 8:43 AM, Gheorghe said:

It´s [Pharoah Sanders's "Welcome to Love"] a wonderful album, I love it.

[...]

Much later my wife bought me the Max Bollemann-Book (the sound engeneer form Timeless records) and I was surprised what horrible story was about the surroundings  when this record was made......

What are you referring to?