• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Avishai Cohen Trio – Shifting Sands (Naive, 2022)

R-23202626-1652892529-7035.jpg.2c6541e21052ceb372d72541d99af45e.jpg

I like Cohen's compositions, but I am not sure that I have ever enjoyed one of his records. I tend to give them two or three dutiful listens and then forget them.

I'd like to hear a more dynamic and perhaps less serious group handle his material, with a bit more zip than he seems to allow his groups.

11 hours ago, Д.Д. said:

What are you referring to? 

It was a date in 1985, I think an album where Woody Shaw was accompanied by and Yugoslawien Quartet of ts, p,b,dr, and they were very good and so nice people, but when Woody rang the door he started to make fist movements against Max Bolleman and in the studio he said that Max Bolleman is an racist. He was completly unruly when it came about blowing into the mike, he just would blow into a dead mike.
He threw his cigarette ends on the floor or stuck them on the ceiling and with him was a junkie woman, who threw all the toalet paper into the toalet and than watered the hole studio and thought it´s a joke..... and Max Bolleman says it was a miracle that music could be produced and it was mostly due to those nice albeit embarrassed men who played with him. 

I had seen Woody Shaw two years later at jazzland, and though he was not as irrascible, he caused enough trouble and left a lot of people in embarrasment....

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

It was a date in 1985, I think an album where Woody Shaw was accompanied by and Yugoslawien Quartet of ts, p,b,dr, and they were very good and so nice people, but when Woody rang the door he started to make fist movements against Max Bolleman and in the studio he said that Max Bolleman is an racist. He was completly unruly when it came about blowing into the mike, he just would blow into a dead mike.
He threw his cigarette ends on the floor or stuck them on the ceiling and with him was a junkie woman, who threw all the toalet paper into the toalet and than watered the hole studio and thought it´s a joke..... and Max Bolleman says it was a miracle that music could be produced and it was mostly due to those nice albeit embarrassed men who played with him. 

I had seen Woody Shaw two years later at jazzland, and though he was not as irrascible, he caused enough trouble and left a lot of people in embarrasment....

Thanks, Gheorghe. 

OS5qcGVn.jpeg

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

It was a date in 1985, I think an album where Woody Shaw was accompanied by and Yugoslawien Quartet of ts, p,b,dr, and they were very good and so nice people, but when .....

Must have been this album:

MS0zNDkwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Trumpeters are a strange species. So many behaving badly, Miles, Hubbard, Woody, Wynton ......

Edited by mikeweil