Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

In the latter part of 1957 I had just completed my Army Basic Training at Fort Riley, Kansas. The group I was in that completed training were granted a leave. A friend and I took the train to Chicago . My friend lived in Chicago, and I decided to stay overnight before heading home to Detroit the next day.

Somehow I discovered that The Horace Silver Quintet had a gig at the Sutherland lounge in Chicago. So I convinced my friend to join me to go hear Horace and his quintet. It was a marvelous evening of outstanding music. To the best of my recollection, that was the only time I had the opportunity to hear The Horace Silver Quintet. Though it was over 60 years ago, it is a memory I cherish.

Great story!  Thanks for sharing that, Peter.  :tup 

15 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Primary

👍😁 Braff & Pizzarelli ---> always a good sounding combination

15 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Somehow I discovered that The Horace Silver Quintet had a gig at the Sutherland lounge in Chicago. So I convinced my friend to join me to go hear Horace and his quintet. It was a marvelous evening of outstanding music. To the best of my recollection, that was the only time I had the opportunity to hear The Horace Silver Quintet. Though it was over 60 years ago, it is a memory I cherish.

th-687755315.jpeg

😁👍 You cant have enough "Silver'.

This box is really good

42107793qd.jpg

44314287xm.jpg

Pre-Blue Note Jackie McLean frequently has a Soulful Rough and Tumble quality that I find highly appealing. Bill Hardman is another of my favorites. Along with Freddie Hubbard and Lee Morgan, Hardman is at the top of the Hard Bop class among trumpet players of his generation.

This album along with the other pre-Blue Note Art Blakey sessions has a warm place on my listening agenda. 

th-1330626566.jpeg