So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Cootie Williams "1945-1946" Chronogical Classics cd

Picked this up last month--haven't heard most of this ever before. It's rougher around the edges than the Ellington Orchestra and a bit more R&Bish. I'm digging it.

50b821de7b11147d5a55fbada02316ce102fc016

My friend Eddie Johnson held down a tenor chair in Cootie's band - he's on the Capitol sides. Mid '47 he left to join Louis Jordan's outfit.

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I think it's interesting that Cootie, Rabbit, and even Al Sears, made music that was, if nothing else, R&B "adjacent" after leaving Duke. And without condescending or otherwise playing down to that market.

It tells me that that flavor was deep inside of Duke's world, both before and after.

Then again, Duke's world pretty much contained every flavor!

Well, round this time and soon after Duke sort of entered the same zones looking for a hit or two (I think). As made a lot of good music.

Just now, Chuck Nessa said:

My friend Eddie Johnson held down a tenor chair in Cootie's band - he's on the Capitol sides. Mid '47 he left to join Louis Jordan's outfit.

That's neat. I noticed his name there. Some great Cleanhead these years and earlier too. 

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is this a good one?

I find it an enjoyable session, though not an outstanding one. Shearing made many solo, duo, and trio albums as well as the ones with his classic quintet. Shearing might be an acquired taste for many jazz listeners, and I have gained a greater appreciation for his piano playing over the years.

Now Playing:  

th-1251070652.jpeg

15 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Sonny Clark Trio - Sonny Clark Trio | Releases | Discogs

I discussed that album last year with a fellow musician  and said that the only thing I complain is that there is too little work on the left hand. I mean , you must not bang all them keys only because there are 88 keys, but the left hand should do more rhytmically. The tunes are great, but it´s strange "be bop" is played in C minor rather than F minor, and it suffers from the lack of left hand punctations.....

19 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

The George Shearing Quintet – You're Hearing George Shearing (MGM, 1950)

R-2058218-1281022519.jpg.91e3421d308a7c3f1ef86bb916367ae9.jpg

One big discovery for me this year has been how much I enjoy some of George Shearing's records. If you would have told me this five years ago, I would have thought that you were mad, but it's there. When it works, there's that great combination of jazz pop and Debussyian exotica, with lovely piano and vibes interplay.

Well, across here I don´t remember there was a big George Shearing following among us musicians and music students. 

It´s possible that a slightly older generation, who liked comfortable "lounge jazz" liked it. I remember one guy who was more into easy listening jazz praised George Shearing, but in my case my only linke to him is two of his compositions that I have in my repertory: 

I like to play "Lullaby at Birdland" at a brisc tempo in A minor, or in a more medium tempo in F minor, using block chords in the theme and then building up more and more emotion into the chorusses. 

And I think I´m one of the few guys around here who do "Conception". Actually there is the original Conception in AABA with 12 bars in the A section, and I play it in Db, which some folks consider a difficult key.

Others, like a trumpet player I know play the Miles Davis version in C, with the A section as normal, but a different continuing of the tune with that great pedal point in it.

Two listening examples:

1) Conception in Db with the original AABA form: Bud Powell Piano Interpretations, Verve 1955.

2) Conception as done by Miles on "Miles Davis-Stan Getz at Birdland 1950", and "Miles Davis-Tadd Dameron on "Last Bop Session" also at Birdland 1950....

On 12/5/2022 at 12:05 PM, Rabshakeh said:

The George Shearing Quintet – You're Hearing George Shearing (MGM, 1950)

R-2058218-1281022519.jpg.91e3421d308a7c3f1ef86bb916367ae9.jpg

One big discovery for me this year has been how much I enjoy some of George Shearing's records. If you would have told me this five years ago, I would have thought that you were mad, but it's there. When it works, there's that great combination of jazz pop and Debussyian exotica, with lovely piano and vibes interplay.

Well I like the early Shearing & his quintet when I started collection in the 1960s. His Everest &  most MGM recordings are here. He was a fine bebopper  with a feeling for good melodies. Pete Rugulo did an interesting composition "Rugolo meets Shearing" on a Mercury LP.

BTW I have 2 different 12"  editions of "You're hearing George Shearing"  (MGM E 3706 & MGM E 3216) and would like to see the tracks from the copy above. Is that a 10" edition?

Here are my 2 versions (with different tracks)

44822217rz.jpg

44822212bf.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
typos

20 minutes ago, BillF said:

I also prefer the early Shearing (1949-52). By the time I got to see him - in Leeds in the later 60s - I no longer liked his stuff. I was at this show for the other billed group - the Junior Mance trio with Bob Cranshaw on bass. 👍

I also would have choosen Junior Mance trio.

Festivals sometimes was a mess. Especially North Sea where so many good artists played at the same time in different halls. 

I had that experience once in 1985 at Hollabrunn Festival. For the same time there was Jackie McLean sextet in hall A, Lou Donaldson quartet in Hall B, and Pharoah Sanders quartet in Hall C, so I had to split the performances to see all them three. 

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

Well I like the early Shearing & his quintet when I started collection in the 1960s. His Everest &  most MGM recordings are here. He was a fine bebopper  with a feeling for good melodies. Pete Rugulo did an interesting composition "Rugolo meets Shearing" on a Mercury LP.

BTW I have 2 different 12"  editions of "You're hearing George Shearing"  (MGM E 3706 & MGM E 3216) and would like to see the tracks from the copy above. Is that a 10" edition?

Here are my 2 versions (with different tracks)

44822217rz.jpg

44822212bf.jpg

It was the second these. Just a stream though.

I find it very interesting music: the blend of modern classical, exotica and catchy jazz pop was a complete dead end, but it is quite strange and mystical.

I think that I find it in a haunting "true exotica" that I find in post-Wagner classical music like Debussy but not in Martin Denny.

Currently listening to:

The Bad Plus – Give (2004)

R-408023-1547399501-9695.jpg.9d7387a35e19803fd1fa37d1c8bd29fc.jpg

I started listening to jazz during The Bad Plus' pomp, and never liked the group's music. I occasionally return to see what I missed and am reminded that it was never going to be. Something about the completely rigid time keeping for the piano melodies really annoys me.

Edited by Rabshakeh

MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Miles Davis "Seven Steps to Heaven" Sony SBM mastered lp facsimile cd.

It's interesting how well these 20 bit remastered cds that I bought years and years ago of Miles Davis albums I love have held up sonically. When I revisit them I notice how great they sound. . . and then I disappear into the familiar, almost "cherished" music.

https://www.kind-of-blue.de/seiten/disco/seven_steps_srcs9109.htm