• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

61qnHJHkerL._SY580_.jpg

I'm a big fan of this late one. All kinds of stuff happening. Should be listened to as a new wave classique rather than a late period jazz record.

5 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Over last couple of days I went through the Bobby Hutcherson Select for the first time in a long time.  Also Barbara Thompson's The Last Fandango.

71cousiZmL._AC_SL1449_-700x700.jpg

Is this good?

Norman Connors – Saturday Night Special (Buddah, 1975)

R-1641806-1234024066.jpg.5a9b34fbc9c690eda35ef65986289022.jpg

I have always struggled a bit with Norman Connors. Like Weldon Irvine and a lot of "New Note" stuff, it is, to my ears, neither fish nor fowl. At least this one has some decent hooks.

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Norman Connors – Saturday Night Special (Buddah, 1975)

R-1641806-1234024066.jpg.5a9b34fbc9c690eda35ef65986289022.jpg

I have always struggled a bit with Norman Connors. Like Weldon Irvine and a lot of "New Note" stuff, it is, to my ears, neither fish nor fowl. At least this one has some decent hooks.

To me "Romantic Journey" was the strongest platter from said period .... covering ground between "Once I've Been There" feat the fabulous Southern Soul songsmith Prince Phillip Mitchell on vocals to a credible version of "Thembi" .... 

Edited by soulpope

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

To me "Romantic Journey" was the strongest platter from said period .... covering ground between "Once I've Been There" feat the fabulous Southern Soul songsmith Prince Phillip Mitchell on vocals to a credible version of "Thembi" .... 

Thanks. I'll give it a go. Looks like it's from slightly later on.

7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

A kinetic version of “Make A List” on here, as well as a rare live performance of “Winter Moon”:

a4167802306_10.jpg

Yeah and a very fine group. I have an album also in Japan, but maybe a bit earlier and with Billy Higgins on drums, but it´s also George Cables and Tony Dumas, a great bass player. 

19 hours ago, John Tapscott said:
20 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Progressive PRO 7062 - Dick Meldonian / Sonny  and their big Swing Jazz Band Igoe play Gene Roland Music - rec. 1981

44836112uf.jpg

Expand  

👍

Small correction. I believe the recording date is 1983. 

Thanks for the correction, John. As printed in the liners the date is really  May 04, 1981 at Emerson High School Auditorioum. Emerson. New Jersey.   ;-]]

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Charles Mingus / John LaPorta – Jazzical Moods (Bethlehem, 1954)

R-3528983-1652986213-9282.jpg.f41a7245f4bad78422546c69778181c3.jpg

This is music to get lost in. It's a shame that the sound quality is quite flat. That smokey mixture of Thad Jones and John LaPorta, and the weird and intricate arrangements.

Have you heard the album LaPorta co-led with Britt Woodman and Joe Wilder, Playing for Keeps, with Jack Wilkins and the Schuller brothers as the rhythm section?  It's fantastic.

Now playing:

41JIKq-KAGL._AC_SX296_SY426_QL65_.jpg

I'm going through some of the Reservoir catalog now and never heard Boiarsky before.

Edited by Justin V