• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BillF said:

51bF9xYzwUL._UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg

I had the Blue Note LA-Series paperbag design covered double album of Fats Navarro with his BN-Recordings from 1947-49 (Dameron´s Onyx-Band and Roost Band, the Boptet with Maggie, and the Bud Powell date). 
I think on the CD that I bought when it came out, there was also an unissued tune with Kenny Haggood voc,. 
The Capitol tunes were new to me, it seems that they were not out on record when I got acquainted with Fats Navarro. Same about the very interesting "Stealin´ Apples" with Wardell Gray in a Benny Goodman small group track. 
The only thing, I could not really stand the vocal on "Casbah", it just got on my nerves that piercing voice.....

The legendary Johnny Griffin - Eddie Lockjaw Davis sessions !  4 CDs. 
I got it from my wife for my birthday. 
Needless to say I saw both of them on many many ocasions. Both in clubs and in concerts. 
My wife was with me on the time I saw Griffin live, it must have been around 2005. Naturally she hadn´t seen "Jaws" , she wasn´t born when I used to see him. 

Each of them fascinates me. Griffin is more post bop , Jaws is more a kind of late swing style that was his trademark. I think each of them are among the musicians you could recognize most easily on blindfold tests. 

The rhythm section with Mance, Gales, Riley is superb. 
The Monk tunes are wonderful, and there is one Jaws original I like particularly: "Hey Lock". From first listening the A sections are based on the changes of Body and Soul , with a bridge of descending chords......really a great thing, really a fine composition.....

Herunterladen (1).jpg

14 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

There is one Jaws original I like particularly: "Hey Lock". From first listening the A sections are based on the changes of Body and Soul , with a bridge of descending chords......really a great thing, really a fine composition.....

Herunterladen (1).jpg

... and still being played by today's young musicians:

Jackie & Roy “Full Circle” Contemporary Records cd

Baritone Saxophone – Bill Perkins

Bass – Monty Budwig

Drums – Jeff Hamilton

Piano, Vocals, Arranged By – Roy Kral

Tenor Saxophone – Bob Cooper

Trombone – Bill Watrous

Trumpet, Flugelhorn – Conte Candoli

Vocals – Jackie Cain

51d72334141af36740263bc59d6002836e6de2cc