So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

15 hours ago, BillF said:

OTktNjgxNy5qcGVn.jpeg

Wonderful. I think I bought it then since it is one of the few occasions where Trane recorded for BN, I don´t remember well but besides "Blue Train" I think he was on "Blowin´Session" with Hank and Griff, on "Whims of Chambers" and on this one. I think there is a very long tune, maybe it is a Blues in Bb with an 8 bar bridge on which Trane is fantastic, and if I remember right there was also a ballad on it.....

Somehow I think it was not as popular as "Cool Struttin´" but very very fine. 

11 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

44946610ch.jp44946610ch.jpg

44946612cq.jpg

There could be more from Aurex, I always had heard about that festival and the big names who all played there, mostly all star surroundings. But somehow I fear it never appeared here in Europe.

The Blakey All Star Frontline with Benny Golson, Curtis Fuller, and if you want to include Wynton Marsalis (at least THEN we had great hopes that he will become the next generation, after Hub, after Woody) . 

In the same year 1983 I saw the Blakey Jazz Messengers (without the allstar frontline), but with Blanchard-Harrison-Toussaint as the front line, and the same John O´Neal and Lonnie Plaxico on p and b. 

It was a very good performance and they even played some "free" passages, and John O´Neal was a very good piano player, he was only for a short time and I never heard what he did after it. 

One highlight on that performance also happened. Dizzy Gillespie (who was scheduled for the next day) came on stage, looking like a "tourist" with a foto-aparat hanging from his neck, and he sat in for some topnotch scat on "Wee". It is possible that due to contractual reasons he was not allowed to play the trumpet also, but Dizzy scattin fast bop , backed by the Messengers also is something you´ll never forget.....

• Replies 78.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images