• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Joe said:

image.jpg?c=8s8g3T05wRiqpOvzkufBzg4Q1ghY

image.jpg?c=b1w5zAGoT407puSmnIwRMFWnbEN5

With Ron McLure..... I remember Ron McLure was with a Dave Liebman Group in the late 70´s, a fantastic group. Was Ron McLure the replacement for Chambers after Chambers had died. I have somewhere a Kelly-George Coleman think with also McLure on bass, sorry to say it is a terrible recording sound. 
So, was this a late Kelly album ? I like his playing very much, but mostly together with other players like Wes, like Hank Mobley and so on. 

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

OS05MjgyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Walter Davis Trio - Night Song (Denon, 1979)

Is Tom Barney the same who played with Miles for a short period (between Marcus Miller and Darryl Jones ?). 

59 minutes ago, BillF said:

s-l500.jpg

I don´t know this edition but the most common listening to Bird over here was that striped cover design series from UK. I don´t remember the name of the label, could it have been Saga ? And later there was one of the best bop labels in general also from UK "Spotlite". That was much unissued Bird on broadcast or live, and the Dial recordings. Not everything was apt for listening, like all those short excerpts on "The Band that Never Was" or too many alternate takes of the otherwise wonderful session with Earl Coleman and Erroll Garner..... but I remember the first "must" for a Bird-Lover then was those "striped" series. Who had it was "into it"......

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

With Ron McLure..... I remember Ron McLure was with a Dave Liebman Group in the late 70´s, a fantastic group. Was Ron McLure the replacement for Chambers after Chambers had died. I have somewhere a Kelly-George Coleman think with also McLure on bass, sorry to say it is a terrible recording sound. 
So, was this a late Kelly album ? I like his playing very much, but mostly together with other players like Wes, like Hank Mobley and so on. 

Yes, this is the second-to-last recording date Kelly led. A mostly overlooked LP, IMHO.

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Is Tom Barney the same who played with Miles for a short period (between Marcus Miller and Darryl Jones ?). 

Yes, that appears to be the case.  I just checked Discogs, and Tom Barney plays on Miles' Star People.

I would've never made the connection if you hadn't asked.

51a4tToBcxL._UX500_FMwebp_QL85_.jpg

This disc comes FLYING out of the gate with Strozier's smoking, Coltrane-esque version of the Marvin Gaye classic.  Along with a cup of strong coffee, the music is serving nicely as a much needed Monday morning pick-me-up.  ;) 

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

42216448np.jpg

Such a great album.  BIG :tup