Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

69822257.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=a7456c9ab2e4

Recently found the Verve CD reissue of this.  Blown away by both the music and sound quality.

Has anyone written about the Argo label?  Much has been written about Blue Note, and less so about Prestige and Savoy, concerning the producers' philosophies and what sorts of music they liked to record.  Is there any sort of consistent thread that goes through Argo releases, or was it just musicians who were in Chicago?  This Moody album was produced by Jack Tracy - did he produce most of Argo's releases, or only some?

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

69822257.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=a7456c9ab2e4

Recently found the Verve CD reissue of this.  Blown away by both the music and sound quality.

Has anyone written about the Argo label?  Much has been written about Blue Note, and less so about Prestige and Savoy, concerning the producers' philosophies and what sorts of music they liked to record.  Is there any sort of consistent thread that goes through Argo releases, or was it just musicians who were in Chicago?  This Moody album was produced by Jack Tracy - did he produce most of Argo's releases, or only some?

Worthy of a thread. Complicated story and I had contact with some of the participants.

I had a weird dream last night in which I was telling my (late) first wife that I love stereo equipment but it’s because I love music.

That’s really true.

Right now, first of the day
Thelonious Monk “Misterioso” Riverside/OJC cd

786e177d3831655261bc6213552b7ee8d067f1d0
Edited by jazzbo

About halfway through Lakecia Benjamin's new one Phoenix and really digging it so far.  In the same neo-spiritual neighborhood as Kamasi Washington, but a little more judiciously compressed and musically interesting to me than some of Kamasi's stuff.... she's distilled the influences in a more engaging way:

a4016125399_65

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Earlier today:

NS0xNTM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

and

Ny0yOTg5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Wonderful "There´s No Business like Show Business". That´s a thing, to improvise on that form up tempo.....fine study

14 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I had a weird dream last night in which I was telling my (late) first wife that I love stereo equipment but it’s because I love music.

That’s really true.

Right now, first of the day
Thelonious Monk “Misterioso” Riverside/OJC cd

786e177d3831655261bc6213552b7ee8d067f1d0

Oh nice association with your first wife.

I got this record together with the first CD "Monk in Action" from my wife and she always said that the cover of "Misterioso" reminds her of Hamlet....

Great music and great Johnny Griffin.