Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Drummer Pete La Roca’s only leader date for Blue Note, “Basra” (here the Japan cd UCCU-8110)

The quartet does an amazing job here but Joe Henderson seems inspired and is a real standout.

5ae9278bf489bc91f9648581f0181e6eeaacdfe4

I've meant to grab this one for probably 10+ years, but he did this one for Blue Note as well.  The band includes Dave Liebman, Ricky Ford, Lance Bryant, Jimmy Owens, George Cables and Santi Debriano.

51iGfCgmEPL._UF894,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

Edited by Justin V

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Now:

NC00MjA4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Wounded Bird CD reissue

There's a bunch of heavyweights on this record -- Billy Harper, Joe Farrell, Ralph Towner, George Mraz -- but it's David Friedman's vibes & marimba that are really grabbing my ear tonight.

Excellent album, as is the follow up which has Friedman, John Abercrombie, Sonny Fortune, Ralph Towner, Jan Hammer etc.

Horacee Arnold - Tales of the Exonerated Flea - Amazon.com Music

5 hours ago, Justin V said:

I've meant to grab this one for probably 10+ years, but he did this one for Blue Note as well.  The band includes Dave Liebman, Ricky Ford, Lance Bryant, Jimmy Owens, George Cables and Santi Debriano.

I haven´t even heard about it. 

Am I wrong or do I just have the impression that the later BN recordings (I mean after the rebirth of BN maybe in the 80´s ) were not advertised properly and went OOP very fast ? I mean a band with Dave Liebman, Ricky Ford, George Cables ? We have all them reissues of old BN on BN RVG, on Conoisseur and so on, but whats about good later stuff like Woody Shaw-Freddie Hubbard, or Jackie McLean-McCoy Tyner etc...... ? 

3 hours ago, felser said:

Excellent album, as is the follow up which has Friedman, John Abercrombie, Sonny Fortune, Ralph Towner, Jan Hammer etc.

Is it possibly that he was not very well known over here in Europe ? 
I only heard about his name once, that he was the first choice for playing with Bud at Birdland but after a few days was replaced by J.C. Moses. Since I never had heard Arnold´s drumming I cannot guess what was the reason. On the live albums there is no trace of Arnold, they are all with Moses.

Edited by Gheorghe

7 hours ago, Justin V said:

Yes, I forgot that there were two later Blue Note titles. I just don't think of these more recent Blue Notes as the same record label!

51PCLN10ZlL._SY600_.jpg

15 minutes ago, Justin V said:

During 'Echoes of Harlem', I asked my daughter who we were listening to and she said she didn't know.  I pointed out the plunger-muted trumpet and asked who used the 'wah-wah' trumpet a lot.  She said, 'Duke.'  She turns 5 next week. :D

You're raising her right!  :D

Listening to the odd 1991 Capitol cd that uses the stereo cover but has the mono LP and 13 other tracks, and the “Something Cool” album is not in album order, but the songs all mixed up.

That said. . . I like it, and we sure got something cool today here in NE Ohio.

Followed by something a bit more heated. . . disc 2

Classic Jazz At The Philharmonic Jam Sessions 1950-1957, disc 2 of 10

[IMG]

Webster!

w

10 hours ago, felser said:

Yep, I've heard/streamed Exonerated Flea -- but I'll have to pick up the Wounded Bird reissue at some point.  :tup 

Edited by HutchFan